Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #21 
Kytkattin

Gah! I am so glad he is okay! I worry about stuff like that when I go away on weekends and they are left all alone.

And yes, not only can bettas drown because of the aforementioned labyrinth lung, but some sharks drown if they stop moving! They have to keep swimming their entire lives or they stop breathing! That is why you often have sharks come and rest near shores. There is more oxygen in the water near the surface so they don't have to swim as much.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #22 
bahamut285

Any shark that doesn't have lips will drown if they stop moving. They can't "kiss" the water like fish do, so they have to swim to pass water through their gills. I think there are only a few species of shark that don't have to be constantly swimming
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #23 
H20Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Oh my gosh I am so sorry. It is always so sad to lose a Betta.

And yes, I am very fond of Japanese names. I love them. I am also looking at naming one of my upcoming African Dwarf Frogs 'Kovu'
Thank you! I have people stumbling over themselves to get me a new one (Mom, her best friend...)

It's always great to meet another Japanophile. I haven't decided on my next name. I'm thinking Miki - the name of some friends' 20 y/o I knew when she was born.
H20Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #24 
fightergirl2710

Silly Freddy! Good thing you found him when you did! One of my otos died wedged between the fronds of a plastic plant -__- In my defence I couldn't even see him in there till I was changing the water and saw his tail sticking out. D:

I check on all my pets as soon as I get up in the morning and before bed. Plus in between for feeding time. :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

My friend was unlucky. She had her first betta, and within a year he got caught under a plant while she was at school and no one was home. He died D: and she was so upset...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #26 
BettaMiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Gardner View Post
Thank you! I have people stumbling over themselves to get me a new one (Mom, her best friend...)

It's always great to meet another Japanophile. I haven't decided on my next name. I'm thinking Miki - the name of some friends' 20 y/o I knew when she was born.

Miki! I love that. I might just have to steal that name! Haha, just kidding.

I just love the way japanese names sound, they're so unique. Much better than 'Fluffy'.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Miki! I love that. I might just have to steal that name! Haha, just kidding.

I just love the way japanese names sound, they're so unique. Much better than 'Fluffy'.

There was a betta named Fluffy?! xDD I think my friend's cat has a Japanese name. But I cannot pronounce it.... lol
Old 09-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #28 
BettaMiah

Ahahaha. Yeah, some names I can't pronounce.

Not that I know of, but I am sure there was one. Bettas are commonly kept as pets for children, so, I woudn't be suprised.

I can see it now. Here is this little 5 year old kid, showing us his Betta fish, and he says "This is Fluffy#358
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #29 
Sena Hansler

ahaha 358..... Even when I got my first one at 13, he lasted pretty darn long. And I am sooo sad that store closed down... his bettas were from reliable sources, and always healthy.. never in a cup. :(
Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #30 
BettaMiah

Never in a cup? I would be astounded. That is all I have ever seen them in. Besides a divided like, half gallon.

I have had Betta fish all my life. I'll admit it, when I was younger, I kept them in half gallon cups. I didn't know. But each of them actually lived I think over 3 years. 'Cept for Red-red. He died in the bigger bowl.