Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #1 
Dressage

Discolored Circles?

Sloopie has developed 4 discolored circles on the left side of his body (3 on his face). He is dark blue, so the circles are a lighter blue with his normal color in the middle. Is this a fungal problem? I have recently switched him to a larger tank...he seems active and is eating well, but I want to help him before things get out of control. Thanks in advance :)

Housing

What size is your tank? 20 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (Aquaclear Biomax)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, but the filter makes a lot of air bubbles under the surface
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Zero

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food (Granular/Pellet)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per Day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
I just moved my Betta to his 20 gal tank a week ago today, so I do not have this information yet (doing water checks with test strips to determine this). Before the tank change he was living in a 3.5 gal tank with filter (same food/water treatment) but with no heater. His tank temp was a fairly steady 76 F.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm - low range
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness: 25 ppm
Alkalinity: 40 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Sloopie has discolored circles on his left side (4 on his face and very start of his body region). He is a dark blue and the circles are a paler blue with his normal dark color in the middle. I will try to take some pictures today.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No he is very active/eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 days ago he had one discolored ring on his head. Yesterday I saw 3 others.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I thought it might be fungal related so I did half a dose of API Pimafix last night
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

This is an amazing site and has been the Bible for my Betta care. Thanks to all who contribute!

Last edited by Dressage; 09-10-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Dressage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #2 
Myates

Can you see if the lighter colored patches are fuzzy? May have to look real close, use a flashlight or magnifying glass if you have one around.
May also be:
Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

Either way, I would put him in a QT until you figure what it is.. easier to treat him in that since you're going to be doing daily 100% water changes.

Otherwise, I am stumped =( I'm sorry
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #3 
Dressage

Sorry these are terrible photos, but they show the discolored areas. And in reply, his spots do not look fuzzy even when i looked at them with a flashlight last night.

Last edited by Dressage; 09-10-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #4 
Dressage

I looked again with a flashlight and could see a very thin fuzziness to one of his spots. I assume this means it is fungal? Should I keep treating with API Pimafix, or is there something else I should be treating with?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 
kartman

Does it look at all like the pictures in this thread?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....701#post768701

(sorry, it's hard to tell from your pictures). That's my fish, Spartacus, and I treated him for hole in the head after some fungal medications didn't seem to do much. It took a while, but daily water changes and aquarium salt did the trick.

Now he has SBD, but that's a different story... :(
kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #6 
Dressage

Kartman- Yes those pictures look exactly like what is happening with Sloopie. Did Spartacus have any white fuzz on the spots or were they truly lesions?

Also, I have never used aquarium salt. I know that it doesn't filter out of the water, so does that mean that I would need to do a complete water change daily? I ask because he is currently in a 20 gal tank (haha) by himself. Do I need to put him in a smaller tank until he is better? I just moved him over to the large tank a week ago, so I don't want to cause unneeded stress by moving him again.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #7 
kartman

Spartacus' spots may have looked a little bit fuzzy under bright light, but I ultimately guessed that it was due to his skin sort of peeling off.

I put him in a 1 gal and did 100% daily water changes with the aquarium salt - it was probably a little stressful, but I think he felt better as his head healed so it was worth it.
kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #8 
Dressage

Thanks for the reply Kartman. Sloopie's spots do not seem to be responding to the API fungus care so I am going to start with the salt treatments when I get home from work. Did you do the 3x normal salt concentration for Spartacus? I am a bit confused by the directions:

"Treatment: HITH can be treated conservatively with Aquarium salt. Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration and remember not to continue this for more than 10 days. Keep the temperature between 80-82*F and perform daily 100% water changes."

How do you end up with 3x the concentration if you add the salt at 12 hour intervals while still doing a daily water change? Sorry if I am missing the obvious, its still early, haha.

Any advice from someone who has treated for HITH/the peeling skin that Sloopie has is much appreciated! Pictures of Spartucus that show what Sloopie is going through for those new to the thread:

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1312481828

Thanks again all!

Last edited by Dressage; 09-13-2011 at 08:07 AM.