Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question So i decided on a pair...now what?

Ok, SO I am going to try and breed these guys. I hope the one in the cup is female and not a baby male. She was labled CT female..

What else do I need, supply wise?

Food - insofura, BBS, egg yolk?
spawning tank
growout tank
heater
Filter - do I need one or can I use a syphon?
live plants

I know I have to condition them to get used to each other. Can I float the female in her cup in the male's tank? Or is it better to divide the tank?
I know I have to wait for him to bubblenest and her to have breeding stripes. Once that happens I can release her, correct? I have IAL and I was planning on putting live plants on one side of the tank and the IAL on the other side. Bare bottom tank. Would that work? I am wondering how many live plants i need to have enough insuforians to feed the fry..

After they spawn, I take out the female and leave the male, right?

I have researched alot lately but I feel I am more confusled now then I was when I started...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #2 
Rocketscissors

Picsies?
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #3 
Creat

Lets see if I can help....
Food - insofura, BBS, egg yolk?
Feeding is up to you I feed microworms and insofura only maybe someday I will try bbs but I am lazy and do not care to super grow a spawn...
spawning tank Yep I use about 10-15 gal just cause I like to
growout tank Maybe 2 or just use the breeding tank as a second growout
heater Always and dont forget the thermometer
Filter - do I need one or can I use a syphon? I dont use a filter till they are an inch or so long but they always have an airstone for water movement sponge filters work great you can make one or buy one but regular tank cleanings are a must with or without a filter
live plants
Lots of them!

I know I have to condition them to get used to each other. Can I float the female in her cup in the male's tank? Or is it better to divide the tank?
I dont condition them to be used to each other.. my pair doesnt see another fish for 1-2 weeks until breeding.
I know I have to wait for him to bubblenest and her to have breeding stripes. Once that happens I can release her, correct?
Its still all about personal preference I will show them to each other right before I put them in the breeding tank and if she stripes up I usually just dump them straight in and let them get down to business. I usually put them in at night before I go to bed. And males dont always make a bubblenest it takes some males all the way till they have eggs in their mouth to make a nest.
I have IAL and I was planning on putting live plants on one side of the tank and the IAL on the other side. Bare bottom tank. Would that work? I am wondering how many live plants i need to have enough insuforians to feed the fry..
Of course it would I just cram stuff in their. And have maybe at the most 1/3 of the tank with little or nothing the rest is all oak leaves and java moss and duckweed.

After they spawn, I take out the female and leave the male, right?

Yes you do :) I usually give my pairs 12 hrs after the last embrace because of how dense my tanks are just to be certain the male doesnt want anymore eggs. The embracing can last almost all day with first time spawners
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

Thanks Creat :)

I can't wait to try this but I know I need more supplies - live plants for one thing.
how big should the spawning tank be? I seen various ways of doing this from small bowls to large tanks.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #5 
Amphibianite

good luck Tiki
subbed here now
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I agree with Creat :) I may have taken my female out too soon (after she was squeezed 5 times), when I guess I was supposed to leave them in a bit longer... whoops!! lol all well.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #7 
Creat

Smaller tanks 5-10 gal are nice because the male can find the female easier, larger tanks 10-20 gal are nice because there is more water volume and it can double as a growout tank, I dont suggest using anything larger then a 20 gal. I use about 15 gal tank filled 4-5 inches high. I just leave my female in because I am not worried about my female getting injured because of all the plants and hiding spots I have in there. Plant wise I always tell people to go buy a large mass of java moss its really great stuff especially for breeding. Also baby fry love to hide in duckweed if you can get some. But everyone can use something different milifoil and other easy grow dense plants are the best type.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote