Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #1 
Yaoilover12397

Corydora types?

So I have some corydoras but am not sure what type they are. Can someone help me. Thwese are links ot corys that look like they do.

http://www.alquimistadeacuarios.com/...gra/pez132.jpg

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums....pperedCory.jpg

http://www.acuariofilia.pauluk.8k.co...s/corydora.jpg

http://theaquariumwiki.com/images/th...eatus-9773.jpg

Does anyone know what kind they are?
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #2 
diablo13

Let's see......1st is, I think, an Adolfo Cory, not sure about second, can't see third, and fourth is a Julii Cory
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #3 
Tisia

number 2 and 4 have the types in the link names, paleatus and trilineatus. first one looks like a panda cory, not sure about the third but here's a site with a bunch of different types and pictures. none of them seem to look quite right to me, but it may just be due to the lighting
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #4 
Yaoilover12397

Mhm hes noy either. He's actually pretty big comparedf to the other and doesnt have the back spot on the end of his tail as well as hes more of a sandy color.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

First guy looks like a panda cory.They are a bit hard to find in some locations.

The second one is definitely a peppered cory..They're one of the popular corydoras and easily found in most petstores.

I cant view the 3rd link.

Fouth guy is a false julii cory.
http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/fre...s_trilineatus/
These too can be a bit hard to find in some locations...My local Petco had a few though, I was pretty surprised..If only I had more tank space. haha.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #6 
hedgehog

Yaoilover--I just wanted to point out that cories feel more comfortable with members of their own species. Members of other species generally only school together out of necessity ie there's only one of their king in the tank so they hang out with the other catfish. If you read about tanks containing multiple schools of different species of cories you'll find that in those experiences the different species don't interact unless they come across the same food source. Even the cories might seem okay to you they could be stressed out which would decrease their life span/make them more susceptible to illness. Just a thought.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #7 
Yaoilover12397

Really? D: I thought cories would school with other cories i didn't realize it would be like this cory with that cory...I don't know what to do now...I wanted them in a group so they could be happy..
Old 09-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #8 
hedgehog

Are they schooling together now? If they are I would just leave them until the first cory passes (hopefully a long long time from now) and then replace it with one of the same species that you have. If you keep doing this you might actually notice a difference in the way the cories act since they will likely be more comfortable.

I didn't mean to say that you should go change out all your cories right now I just wanted you and others that read this to know for future reference.

Side note: I understand why you likely got cories of different species. Since they are all different species they look different and you can tell them apart plus it makes the tank more interesting. If that's the case there are at least two species of cories that have different color morphologies which will still school and spawn together. Coryadora aeneus can be bronze, green, or albino (I have two greens, a bronze, and an albino and can attest to the fact that they form a happy little school). Coryadora paleteus comes in peppered and albino varieties. Other posters think you have a peppered cory so you could get him or her an albino and still tell them apart while the cats are more happy. If peppereds are the only species in the tank and there are albinos its likely that the albinos are C. paleteus and not C. aeneus.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #9 
Yaoilover12397

Well I have an albino and sorta green one that school together and the false juli and the peppered kinda go together and the panda ish sandy one is kinda by himself but hes huge comparded to the others.

I can't really move them now but i will probably be getting another 2-4 10-20 galleon tanks in about 3-5 months so i can then split them up and get more like them. I'm a little sad to do that cuz i wante to be able to tell them apart but its whats best for the fish.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #10 
hedgehog

Does the sort of green one look like this?

He also could be more brownish and have a slight green sheen. If either of those is the case it's likely that its a C. aeneus which is also likely what the albino is. If so you have the makings of a school on your hands. You could get some bronze guys to go with them in the main tank or new tank and you could still tell most of them apart.

The peppered and false julii probably school together because they look most alike out of the options. It's more of a necessity thing rather than an I like you you're my buddy thing.

You certainly can wait to do any rearranging of the fish until you set up all the new tanks--as long as the water is clean and they're not being picked on by other tank mates they won't die due to stress in the mean time.