Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #1 
smellsfishie

Dropsy Strikes Again

One of my males is severely pineconed tonight. He has labored breathing. Even his beard looks pineconed, there is a large protrusion under his gills that appears like a swollen mass. I have added epsom salt (1tsp per gallon and working up to 3tsp per gallon) to see if that helps, but how long should I wait to see if it helps? I hate to leave him suffering since his breathing is so labored. I am considering euthanasia.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not with a heater but it maintains at 80
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Pellets and bloodworms, mostly. Some other frozen fish foods at times, like brine shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-70%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat and Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: Have not tested it
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dropsy
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago lethargic but thought maybe he was sleeping more. He always comes up for food.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was not well when I first got him, he was transported from Thailand in May/June. The breeder told me he was listless so I knew he was coming to me with a problem. I treated him when he got here for parasites because he had sloughing slime coat and his fins were very pink (He is clear/opaque with spots). He has never seemed 100% to me. I think he has always been a little bit weaker but he swam ok, and always ate.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I think he may be about 7 mo?
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I've always been recommended a combination of epsom salt 3 tsp/gal, maracyn 1, and maracyn 2. But if he's already pineconed I don't think there's much you can do at this point since he's probably going into organ failure.

For euthanasia, there's freezing, decapitation, clove oil (strong smell that's hard to get rid of along with the residue it leaves behind), and others i'm sure of.

I personally go with an overdose of clove oil and then decapitation to make sure since there have been stories of someone's fish waking up from clove oil.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #3 
smellsfishie

Would you try the epsom salt/med mixture first, and if so for how long to see improvement? If I am going to put him down, then I want to do it soon so he does not suffer more. But I don't want to do it prematurely if he has a chance. I just put down another betta because of dropsy not that long ago...
Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

I would give the salt and meds a few days at least, but if he keeps bloating despite being at 3 tsp/gal then I would euthanize him. You'll know when it's time though.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #5 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear this, Smellie. :( Pataflafla has good suggestions so I would definitely listen to her advice. I hope it doesn't come down to euthanasia though. :/ I'll be thinking of you and your guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #6 
smellsfishie

Thanks.. I'm hoping I don't have to euthanize either. I just don't want him to suffer unnecessarily. I have him on 3tsp/gallon epsom salt and this morning started general cure since it has metronidazole and I read on the disease sticky that is good. I tried the anti-parasite pellets but he will not eat them. He did eat his normal betta pellets last night though so tonight I am going to try to soak some in garlic and see what he will take. He didn't eat this morning that I saw but he did come up when I opened the lid.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

Hey smellie, I'm really sorry that Pencil has dropsy.. He's one of my fav boys and I'm rooting for him!
I hope he recovers although if its severe you may have to do the needful... I'm sorry. :(
I've had 3 bettas go because of dropsy, 2 that I euthanised.. I hate dropsy!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm rooting for the little guy! I'm a Pencil pusher! Hang in there, little buddy. Try and eat your medicine, it's the best thing for you. Smellie, I really hope he'll take the anti-parasite pellets but if not, good call on the General Cure. Get well quickly, Pencil!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

i researched sooo much on that and they said there is no known cure for it, you could try to cure it but it won't have any effect though, if it's not severe he could get through it but if it's bad he might not make it, that's what happened to my 2nd sorority =[[.
causes are feeding to much live foods like black worms, mines got effected by "blood worms" since my stupid self fed them to much of it and my fish got spoiled =[. so preventing it is to feed less live foods, not much to do for treatment...
sorry if i didn't help
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I'm sorry you lost your 2nd sorority, Bettalover.

Dropsy is a symptom that can be caused by many things, including heart disease, kidney infections, parasites, constipation . . . if you fed live bloodworms, it's possible they carried parasites.