Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 
alysalouise

Shy Female Betta :/

So i got 2 girls yesterday
1 will notice me lay on my bed and look at her and she will come out and venture around in her tank or come right up to the front and look at me
The other though, as soon as she sees me walk in and close my door she is hiding in the back of her tank, and the only way i can feed her is if im about 2 feet from the tank tossing 1 pellet in at a time, she come up snatch it and go back and hide while she swallows it and will do the same for 2 more pellets

How do i get her use to me and like me?
Its pretty upsetting i barley get to see her, she is the prettier of the 2 lol

And any name suggestions?

Im sure by the pictures you will be able to tell who is the shy one and who is the social butterfly
Attached Images

alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #2 
dragonflie

Some bettas are just very quick to adapt to new environments while others are not.

Since you just got them yesterday, I'd keep her home as quiet, dark, and unobtrusive as possible. Darkness can be a good stress reliever for any fish; and in fact, I had to do that with a dwarf gourami when I put him in a temporary holding tank while I changed substrates in my community tank by wrapping a towel around it so he couldn't see anything.

It's not going to hurt her if she doesn't eat right away; in fact, some bettas can be a bit "grumpy" in that regard for a week or longer.

If you don't notice any physical deformities or symptoms indicating illness, she just might need a little break from all the excitement. :)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #3 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post
Some bettas are just very quick to adapt to new environments while others are not.

Since you just got them yesterday, I'd keep her home as quiet, dark, and unobtrusive as possible. It's not going to hurt her if she doesn't eat right away; in fact, some bettas can be a bit "grumpy" in that regard for a week or longer.

If you don't notice any physical deformities or symptoms indicating illness, she just might need a little break from all the excitement. :)

She ate no problem, just didnt want to be seen while eating, she was so hungry, like she keep looking at where i kept tossing the food and just waiting for more
And i dont have a dark place to keep her as my room is filled with tanks and tank lights and not to mention all the noise from the filters. but im the only one that goes in and out of my room so hopefully thats better than everyone and everything in the house passing by her

And is that stress stripes on my other female?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #4 
dragonflie

Looks to be stress stripes, yes.

You could give it a day or two to see if they calm down, but if they don't; then I recommend throwing a bath towel around them if needed, as I did for my DG.

While some amount of stress is fairly normal when a huge change of environment is experienced, it is important to lessen the stimulation outside the tank as much as you can; as ongoing stress can cause our fish to fall ill.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post
Looks to be stress stripes, yes.

You could give it a day or two to see if they calm down, but if they don't; then I recommend throwing a bath towel around them if needed, as I did for my DG.

While some amount of stress is fairly normal when a huge change of environment is experienced, it is important to lessen the stimulation outside the tank as much as you can; as ongoing stress can cause our fish to fall ill.

Well hopefully they calm down, they were in a 10 gallon with 6 or so other females, and i noticed the one had stress stripes when i got out to the car and had a chance to look at them
Im hoping with the 2 of them not together anymore they will be less stressful
In the tank they were in everyone looked stressed, all in their own "Areas" of the tank, no one by each other
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #6 
alysalouise

The good news is that she already warmed up to me, she comes right to the front of the tank to greet me when she sees me plop on my bed :) (really she is just looking for the food XD)

And i was looking at my black female (whose stress stripes are starting to fade) And she has that Big mean frown on her face LOL it cracks me up, i see it everytime i look at her cause when i come up to the tank she sees me and is right up front looking at me :)

Last edited by alysalouise; 09-11-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #7 
dragonflie

Glad to hear they are settling in!