Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

Tail-biting halfmoon

I'm back again. This time its my halfmoon, Captian Jack.

His tail have been getting ripped the past two weeks, and I couldn't figure out why (his tank has nothing in it, its bare).

Until 10 minutes ago, I caught him in the act. He had bit a big chunk out of his tail and had it in his mouth and just looked at me as though saying "What'chu gonna do about it?"

He has no tank mates, he is in a 1 gallon KK (he's blind in one eye and large spaces bigger then 1 gallon seem to give him trouble.) I use Aquasafe conditioner for all my tanks, the water is at 75 degrees.
And I've had him for over 2 months now.

Any help on what I should do would be great, if you need to know anything else, let me know.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #2 
Sakura8

You'll want to up the heat in his tank to about 78 degrees. You might want to also switch your water conditioner to Stress Coat. There are extra ingredients in it that are great for healing fins, a must for a tailbiter. Beyond that I can't really offer you any advice. All I can guess is that he decided his tail was too big or something. I hope you are able to find out why he's biting. Good luck with him!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

It might also be that he's bored. Try tossing in a plant or something to entertain him as well?
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I got a tail bitting HM myself. They can bite of they are bored, stressed or supposedly if they get angry. Or sometimes they bite because they can.
You can try rearranging decorations or adding new ones if its bordeom or stress. did you change anything in his tank?

If he is biting just because he can, I dont think there is much you can do to stop him. If you find a solution, LMK!

I have come to the conclusion that my guy wants to be a CT
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #5 
cherrybello

my new fish Buddy is probably a young VT and he stays with my BF, I can't really tell, but I was over at my BFs and I noticed his tail looks a bit ragged, and I thought he was scraping his tail on something we put in the tank. But yesterday I was looking at him, and he was spitting out a bit of his tail.

When I noticed, we drove out to Petbarn straight away and got him additional decorations, moved the existing ones around. I am also going to order some plants for him (The petbarn I went to... their goldfish has ick, pretty bad, a few of them are getting seriously lethargic and resting under the plants rooted in driftwood they sell...) I didn't think to get stress coat for him, so we are doing that later today.

I think Buddy got too stressed with all the CTs around him when he was sitting in the petshop, and wants to be one too... like Tikibird's HM...
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #6 
Luimeril

since he's blind in one eye, he may think his tail's another betta.

honestly, as long as he's not getting infections, i say let him be. it doesn't hurt anyone, and his comfort's more important that looking pretty, right?

but, if you want to stop him from doing it, add plants, switch his decor around if you feel comfortable doing so(with my late Theo, who was mostly blind, i didn't move his decor around at all), or put things on the outside of his tank(i did that with my tail biter, and he loved looking at what i had on the outside of his tank).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote