Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
SKA123

Betta swiming on his side...Please answer HELP!

My betta is swimming on his side, and I don't know what to do.
I read online that it could be caused by bloating/low or too hot temps. I have a heater, can I just put that in his tank now, or should i take him out and put it in?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? In the 70s
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but the room is hot, and i do have a heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He lives alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed him, about twice a day maybe 3-4 pellets only.
Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week, 100% water changes.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his head has gotten a little bigger, and i'm not sure but there looks like a tiny bump.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's blowing bubbles from his body, and is wiggling at the top, then it looks like he's chomping at the water. then he'll stop moving and then keeping repeating his blowing bubbles etc. and now he's swimming on his side.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? no...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? i dont know.

Last edited by SKA123; 09-10-2011 at 09:30 PM.
SKA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #2 
SKA123

Is it swim bladder how do i treat that??
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I'm pretty sure you posted something almost the same thing earlier.

As far as temperatures go, it needs to be 78-80 degrees for best results. Treat him with 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt premixed for 14 days and do 100% daily water changes. Also, soak his food before you give it to him so it doesn't expand in his stomach. Fast him tomorrow to see if that helps also.

For your issue about his head getting bigger, can you get an actual picture of it?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #4 
SKA123

would i be able to put his heater in his tank now? and i just changed his water yesterday, and i dont have epsom salt yet.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

If you have a heater that is suitable for his size tank, then go ahead and put it in. Monitor the temperature for the rest of the day to make sure it's not overheating or underheating his water.

You can get epsom salt at pretty much any pharmacy, or I know for sure Smith's carries it if you have one in town. It should be relatively cheap and should last you for a while since bettas don't need as much as we do for the same effect.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi SKA, I'm sorry to hear about your guy. Quick question: when you changed the water, was the temp of the new water about the same as the temp of the old water? If there was a few degrees difference, that can be enough to shock a betta and cause temporary swim bladder disease. It happened to me once and I freaked out.

Can you describe how he's blowing bubbles from his body? Is he blowing them out of his gills? Did this just start after the water change? Did you remember the water conditioner? If you accidentally forgot it (and I have before), he could be suffering from chlorine and heavy metals in the water. If you're not sure, the safest thing to do is another water change, this time making sure you have the water conditioner and making sure the temp of the new water is close to the temp of the old water.

For now, I would recommend you take him out, put the heater in and plug it in, and then return him to his tank. Set it for about 78-80*. Go ahead and put 1 tsp of epsom salt in the tank like Pataflafla suggested, but make sure to pre-dissolve it first. If it seems like he is struggling to reach the surface or getting tired, you can lower the water level a bit.

Like Pataflafla, I think I'd need to see a pic of his head. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about his head getting bigger.

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #7 
ChelseaK

Sakura said everything I said and more so I erased it :p
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Sorry, Chelsea. >.< Happens to me, too. Someone says everything while I'm busy typing. XD

SKA, Wal-Mart carries epsom salt and so do most grocery stores. It's in the pharmacy section. Make sure it has no added scents or colors. It should just be plain old magnesium sulfate.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #9 
SKA123

He's good about getting to the surface, he seems to be blowing them from his mouth/gills. and he was trying to build a nest but the poor thing busted. right now i put him in a bowl of his own water and just cleaned his tank again, plus added water conditioner plus the heater. since i dont have air conditioning in my room it gets pretty hot. but yea just in case i put it in. the water i just put in is warm, and when i changed my little guys water the water was cold! :( so yea i just put the heater on, and yea, when the water temp gets cold the heater will click on for it to warm the water. also should i fast him for a day or two? to make sure he isn't constipated? and sorry for freaking out lol i've never owned a fish and i dont want him to die.

ALSO: I wanna buy him a plant and I wanna make sure it doesn't hurt him or anything, and I was wondering if there were any good plants from walmart i could put in his 2.5 gallon tank?

Last edited by SKA123; 09-10-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Don't worry, you're not freaking out. You're acting perfectly normal.

Yes, I would definitely fast him for a day at least. More food would only add extra pressure to his swim bladder.

As soon as you get the epsom salt, go ahead and put him in that. I think that will be the best thing for him. Definitely post if his behavior changes at all.

Hang in there both of you!