Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 
Princess Penny

New Double Tail!!

I have been thinking that I wanted to eventually divide my tank and get another male, but it wasn't something that I thought I'd do soon. My hubby likes crown tails so I've been keeping my eye out for a nice one, thinking it would be nice to have "my" betta and one that could be "his" lol. We aren't exactly made of money though so I figured he wouldn't want to add another fish anytime soon.

Well, tonight we went out for Chinese and Petco is right next door. As we were walking out, he asked if I wanted to go into Petco and look around. I looked at my watch, saying they closed in 15 minutes but figured, oh what the hell. Certainly I couldn't do much damage with just 15 minutes, right?

WRONG!

We headed over to the Aquatics section and I immediately noticed a ton of beautiful, brightly colored bettas on one wall. I looked them all over and while they were all very pretty and healthy-looking, nothing really caught my eye. There was a HM that I really liked but at $13.99, I talked myself out of it before even asking my husband. As we started to head out I walked over to the betta supply area to see if they had any of those leaf hammocks (they didn't), and they had some more bettas over here. Well, this one double tail boy really caught my eye. I picked up his cup to take a closer look and he started flitting around like crazy! He was just so spirited and beautiful that I turned to my hubby and begged to get him, lol. Of course he asked, "how much?" and I was surprised to note that the DT's were only $6.99. So, $7 and some change after tax, I happily walked to the car with a new betta :)

Now luckily, Walmart is also right in the same shopping area so I convinced him to run in and see if we could find craft mesh and report spines so I could start working on a divider. I found them both (barely), and the total came to around $5 so for $12 we headed home with not only a new fish but stuff to make a divider. Yay!

As soon as I got home I was kicking myself for not grabbing a critter keeper while we were in Petco. So I hooked up my old Tetra heater in Ammo's old vase, threw in a plant and some water conditioner, and voila. QT for the new guy. (Everything rinsed well in hot water, of course)

I figure I will leave him in there for a week, by then my tank will be due for a water change anyway and I figure that will give me enough time to work on the divider and test it out. Is one week long enough for quarantine?

Also, this guy is really spirited as I said and I was worried about him jumping out of the vase, so I put some Saran wrap over the top and poked holes in it with a sharp knife. Will that work??

Well anyways, onto the pictures! :D I didn't take *too* many, because I didn't want to stress him out too much. There will be much more to come I'm sure but for now, here he is! Haven't really settled on a name yet, my husband has been calling him "Masuka" (we've been watching Dexter today, lol) but I'm not sure if that fits him. Open to ideas! :D

Oh and can anyone help me with identifying what color he is? I want to say bi-color but not sure if that's right.

Edit: Oh no, I just checked on him and he was like laying on top of the plastic bottom of the plant (I put it in upside down), not really moving... I put my finger in the water and gently moved the plant and he moved, so he is alive *phew* but I'm worried... or is this normal? Don't bettas sometimes rest near the surface like this? Any thoughts?? Hope he is OK :(

Last edited by Princess Penny; 09-10-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awh, you have such cute bettas! I only ever have red and blue ones in my smallish town :(
I wouldn't worry about him unless he's like that for 2-3 days. As long as he's eating he should be okay though o.O
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #3 
Princess Penny

Just checked on him again not too long ago and he was swimming around, so he must have just been resting. Phew!
Yes, I am very lucky, my Petco has really nice bettas every once in awhile (I think if I'm there soon after a shipment, is when I see the nice ones) Even the cashier commented on how pretty this guy was :) After asking us, "hey, weren't you guys in here the other day?" LOL, not good when the employees start recognizing you >.<

Can't wait to start working on the divider! I'll probably measure, cut and put it together tomorrow so I can get it in the tank for awhile to make sure Ammo can't get through.

Last edited by Princess Penny; 09-10-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's very pretty!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #5 
Princess Penny

Thank you! He's doing well this morning, even ate a little food :)
Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #6 
fishy friend2

He is really pretty I think he is a multi color DBT male
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote