Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #1 
MinibotLove

Red face Clearly I shouldn't be allowed to go to the store

Not unless I have someone with me to list all the reasons why I can't take home another fish. Because, apparently, left to my own devices, I come home with 3 fish when I only went for a slightly bigger tank for my boy Ratchet and to peek at the girls.

They didn't have any girls in the cups at Petsmart, so I was ooo'ing and aaah'ing at the pretty halfmoons - very young, though! Tiny boys, I wasn't sure they all were boys, but the cups were labeled male and I couldn't find an egg spot on them so I defer to the judgement of the breeder/distributor even if I maybe shouldn't And in the cups there's a little section of five Dragonscale boys. They're all pretty but not very sociable, and one had the 'diamond eye' effect, skulking at the bottom of his cup and nipping at anything that came by his mouth - mostly his own poop >.< And I felt bad for the poor baby so I added him in my basket and got him a nice little 2.5 gallon tank to go with him.

And then I ended up back at the rack for the little pale blue marble halfmoon tail (who narrowly won against a red and white boy with a much more prominent moon-shape to his tail with a lovely black edging but I have so many red boys already they're going to develop a complex against me at this rate) and I thought that'd be that... except I found their last two girls in a little communal tank with some other fish and I couldn't convince myself to leave without one of them for the sorority... so two tanks, three fish, two more thermometers, went by Hobby Lobby for some teeny terra cotta pots - since the girls seemed to enjoy them so much when I put them in the big tank, I gave one to everybody - and with roommate in tow, went to Walmart for some filters. Almost didn't get away from Walmart without another fish - the poor little lavender and white veiltail boy pulled on my heartstrings =< But she reminded me that we have like, no more counterspace for fish tanks.

"But what about this little corner unit? It's only ten dollars - has the pump and filter and a light and everything. One and a half gallons."

"No. We don't need another one."

"But I thought you wanted a purple one."

"Not right now..."

I had this same problem when I started keeping Hermit Crabs. Had a nice big setup and just.. kept finding crabbies that wanted to come home with me. Until I brought home the serial killer that systematically and brutally murdered my whole colony. -.- I think I had 12 when he came home, unlucky number 13, and just took out everybody. That was several years ago, though, and I'm reeeeally hoping something like that doesn't happen with my bettas ;~; Which, unless I end up with a mutant freak flying betta that hops tank-to-tank and eats everyone, it's unlikely to happen in the same way.

So now we're up to 7 girls, and 5 boys. ._. We started this with 2 fish at the beginning of June... and my camera is somewhere MIA but I will be digging it out as soon as I can because I want to take pictures of them. I tried to make Jazz's (the Dragon) tank texturally and colorfully interesting for him - half gravel and half smooth glass stones, a couple sizes of terra cotta pots, and a plastic mini utility basket that I 'planted' some plastic plants that had come off their bases in the holes so he has kinda a little grotto on one side of his tank. He seems to see well enough to find food if it's there a while, but he'll swim up to it and give it a cockeyed look with each eye before deciding to eat it. I'm hesitant to add his filter and disorient him if he's mapped out the landscape but now I'm wondering if I maybe gave him too much stimulation if what I read about other peoples' blind bettas is anything to go by... plus I heard this 'tink' of glass on glass earlier but I'm not sure if he smacked into his pebbles with his head or knocked one against the tank wall for some reason. Maybe looking for fallen pellets.

I have no idea how it happened. Two became four became five... became 12...

Anybody else have this sort of problem? ^//^;;
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

Okay to start with I /love/ the names you have given your fish <333 Also yeah I went from 1-3 in about two months and then I managed to hold off. Lost two of them after near a year of ownership back to back and so I was down to one again and I decided okay, I'll stay at one and somehow I'm up to 3 again as well as my loaches. And somehow I ended up infecting my fiancée with two fish and my friend with two fish as well. I know I'd have more if I couldn't proxy own some through friends.

I'd love to see pics of your darlings though c: Also try to not get another fish until at least 2012
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #3 
MinibotLove

I went from growing up with a menagerie (dogs, cats, lizards, crabs, goldfish...) on a retired farm and orchard with my grandmother to having no animals at all for five years with my husband despite much begging and pleading for anything, anything at all, to living in Texas with my roommate. I think the critter-deprivation I went through is causing a lot of it, to be honest - I'm an animal-person. I need animals in my house, my life, to feel like I'm at home. And since it's an apartment and space is sort of limited, fish are a great alternative to, say, the baby goat I almost brought home from my Cousin's house that one year. ^///^

Hee thanks <3 We're huge Transformers nerds, so all the girls are named after Flyers (no particular reason, we just started a trend with Starscream and Skyfire, and Silverbolt seemed to fall in line and then the rest were a theme).

I don't think I'll have to worry about getting more until it starts getting cold. It's still pretty toasty down here, and the tank thermometers are reading just under 80 without a heater, but we'll need to get some warmers for them when it starts getting to where the highs aren't in the 90s. And then the temptation will be there ;~; or if I find that pretty violet boy I've been looking for. ...Or a pretty orange one... *Makes a note not to look too often on Aquabid*
Old 09-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

*laughs* Oh you poor dear the impulse to get more of these little guys is strong. Just try to tell yourself that if you don't get more then the ones you have can have more attention c: And calculate out the cost of heaters for that many tanks if you don't already have them. Thats a hefty sum acutally.

Though... you know you need Skywarp if you find the purple one... and then Thundercracker... because I'd be bad and have the whole seeker trine lol
Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

You need a purple one... Go back and get him lol

My 1 turned into 2 then back to 0. Then 1 turned into 2 and I thought my fiance would kill me. I laugh looking back on that. Number 3, I was nearly in tears when he told me to go back and get him. Number 4 was a girl from a friend. Number 5 was planned from day one, since I adopted him from a forum member. Annnnnd number 6 to 9 were 3am ideas by me that my fiance had no say in Haha This has been since July for me.

Congrats on your new babies... Like you I can't go into a store without bringing one home. So now I stay out.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 
MaggieLynn

In april I decided to own bettas again and got a male and female, the female died within a week. well then in june I started a sorority and bought another male I found while at petco, then the dragon thread came up and well i added 3 more, but sadly my dragon boy passed, which opened up his tank which i divided and well now i have 12 of them
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #7 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
*laughs* Oh you poor dear the impulse to get more of these little guys is strong. Just try to tell yourself that if you don't get more then the ones you have can have more attention c: And calculate out the cost of heaters for that many tanks if you don't already have them. Thats a hefty sum acutally.

Though... you know you need Skywarp if you find the purple one... and then Thundercracker... because I'd be bad and have the whole seeker trine lol
I'm so weak! TT~TT Our purple boy we're looking for is actually pre-emptively dubbed "Shockwave" because my roommate saw a lovely picture on the tails and colors thread and said "*GASP!* I want that one!" XD And he was lovely and I wasn't about to say no but apparently they're pretty hard to find!

We did have Thundercracker, who lived in a split tank with Perceptor, but... ah... we didn't have a lot of info on these guys when we started, and there was an unfortunate mixup with some water clarifier and start zyme tablets... which I've sworn off using forever unless I find detailed instructions and not just "Use this to clear cloudy, smelly water". But we can always have TC Mach 2 as a homage. Except all our flyers are girls and we'd be breaking our theme >.> Purple girls are apparently harder to find than purple boys.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #8 
ForbiddenSecrets

Well if you ever do find a purple girl and you have room for her - you know where she needs to go >;D Sky and Star are such girls anyways. Well and TC... specially in AHM. Love love love those it was nice seeing Preceptor be amazing.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #9 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You need a purple one... Go back and get him lol

My 1 turned into 2 then back to 0. Then 1 turned into 2 and I thought my fiance would kill me. I laugh looking back on that. Number 3, I was nearly in tears when he told me to go back and get him. Number 4 was a girl from a friend. Number 5 was planned from day one, since I adopted him from a forum member. Annnnnd number 6 to 9 were 3am ideas by me that my fiance had no say in Haha This has been since July for me.

Congrats on your new babies... Like you I can't go into a store without bringing one home. So now I stay out.

Don't tempt meeeee I'm weeeeak and I don't need anymore enabling XD

But thank you! I think I'm pretty happy with them - well, mostly, if I can get the girls to settle down and stop nipping each other >=/ Starscream's on her second day of being in the breeder trap because she escaped yesterday and trapped poor unsuspecting Skyfire in her place! My roommate was looking in the tank and was like "....That's not Starscream. The wrong fish is in the net..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggielynn
In april I decided to own bettas again and got a male and female, the female died within a week. well then in june I started a sorority and bought another male I found while at petco, then the dragon thread came up and well i added 3 more, but sadly my dragon boy passed, which opened up his tank which i divided and well now i have 12 of them
Ahaha XD You sound just like me. "Oh I have this empty space here and otherwise it's just going to go into storage and that would be such a waste..!"
Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #10 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
Well if you ever do find a purple girl and you have room for her - you know where she needs to go >;D Sky and Star are such girls anyways. Well and TC... specially in AHM. Love love love those it was nice seeing Preceptor be amazing.
AHM Percy is bad-aft, no lie <3 Roomie mourned his loss quite a bit since he was our very first - him and Starscream. (Who I think was originally Skyfire, but when we got other girls and her personality started coming out... we renamed her to something more fitting... plus Skyfire just couldn't be the teeniest one in the tank. XD)