Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Disappearing duckweed...

So when I went to buy plants for my tank a few weeks back, I asked the guy to grab me a bunch of duckweed. I wanted a floating plant, and I love free. I figured I'd have to take about half out of the tank and chuck it every now and then, but didn't have any problems with that. I've noticed, however, that my duckweed doesn't thrive, and is in fact disappearing... and I discovered why today. My platies and sorority girls are eating it Is this common? Will it hurt my girls? I really like the look of the tiny floating things, but if it'll hurt them, I'm taking out what's left and not getting anymore.
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Platies like to eat vegetation from time to time...Mine like to pick at my live plants too..You can feed them peas and zucchini and they like that as well. I dont think it should hurt the girls, but I don't have much experience with them so I am not 100% sure..my boys like to bite my plants every now an then though and it hasn't seemed to hurt them.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #3 
iloveengl

Platies (and mollies, guppies, goldfish, etc.) are primarily vegetarian, so it's actually very healthy for them to have access to fresh plants.

It won't hurt your girls either. It's good to get some vegetation in their diet when they want it - it will help keep bloat issues at bay.

I love duckweed, but it's such a pain for me to keep it out of the way of the filter.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #4 
Bloeduwedd

Then I think I'll run up and get some more. That explains why Fleur, who has issues with SBD and bloat, was perfectly fine while it was in the tank, but is now having to be put in epsom salt after almost every meal :(
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote