Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 
Norichan

Question Betta likes small habitat?

So, Cryo currently lives in a filtered 2.5. He's got a case of SBD that I can't seem to shake, so he doesn't really use the space he has, and it's a challenge to get him fed because he has to come to the surface and sit on one of the structures to get at the food.

I put him in a little critter-keeper type thing the other day, maybe a half-gallon, while I was cleaning his tank. I threw in a plant to give him some cover and so he could sit near the surface.

He liked it. He was still just as lethargic, but the lower surface means he can get air easier, and he just seems less frantic and strained overall.

So.. should I let him have this one? Let Cryo live in a little, unfiltered critter keeper?

*Sigh* I don't know what to do with him anymore. Like I said, his SBD doesn't seem to be getting any better, and after a certain point his fins just stopped healing, regardless of what I do to help them along....
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #2 
LaLaLeyla

My bettas likes smaller areas xD
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #3 
Princess Penny

If you're doing what is best for the fish, then I see no problem with it as long as you keep up on water changes and such :)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

If he is less stressed then I would leave him in the smaller tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well now see, my first betta was in a bowl. And lasted quite well, vibrant and active for a good 7 years. Sure he could have been better in something bigger, but the bowl it's self was a 2 gallon or something "goldfish" bowl xD

My friend's blind betta stays in a 1.5 gallon heated tank. Genetically blind, he freaks out when in larger places or smaller spaces D:

so really, depends on the betta and the care it recieves :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #6 
Myates

I would keep him in the small container at least until his SBD is better then he may appreciate his home tank once again, or put him in a 1gal and make it a little heavily planted. One of mine prefers the one gallon heavily planted. That way it is still sort of small and the water won't get as dirty as quickly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, critter, habitat, keeper, sbd