Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation My young female has ICH in community tank!

She wasn't with other fish innitially... When I got her, her bowl was the filthiest one. I got her and another female. Right now she is in the community 20 gallon tank with my giant female Madame, the other female youngster, an african dwarf frog, three balloon mollies, and two balloon molly fry.

Even better (worse) news - the one balloon molly is soon to have fry within the next week!!! No I do not have ich remedy. It's hard to find, money is tight... I have aquarium salt for "freshwater fish", and I have been told numerous times I could use that.

But I know salt is dangerous to bettas in the best of times. So how much do I use? On the back it says "one tsp per 5 gallons" But again I am scared to harm my poor female bettas -.- Also... How much of a water change, and how often?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #2 
MaggieLynn

change the water every day and you need to add a tsp of salt every 12 hours for a concentration of 3 tsp per gallon, I found some meds that I like that worked fast called nox ich and quick care, nox ich took some time to find because it wasnt at petco or petsmart it was at my lfs walmart does have one called quick care that is pretty much the same thing. and with that you add 1 drop per gallon. I used that and changed the water every day, while just adding the right does every day to their home tank (with no one in it) and let it build up until they were cured and then put in fresh water and ya. hope this helps!

The quick cure was only about $3 and the nox ich was $5 and they will last you a long time
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

"No one in it" what do you mean? also this walmart lacks any ich remedy stuff, only place here is a non-chain pet store whose prices are nuts. Also, my salt says "1 tsp per 5 gallons".

And how much of a water change each day? 20%?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

For treatment, I think it's bring temp up to 86* ( I could be very wrong on temperature but ti's supposed to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite to kill it all in the treatment time), and I think 3 tsp/gal with regular gravel vacuuming to get the fallen parasites.

I know mollies like brackish water so they should be fine with the salt. I don't know about the african dwarf frog though. Can you isolate it for treatment just in case it is sensitive to the salt?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I have no tank available for the froggy or the snail. Both would despise the salt... But... Don't have a choice. I have a bucket? I know ADF don't absolutely need a filter/pump as long as they are cared for. I could put him in that maybe? I added a bubbler so the salt doesn't decrease the air lol. The filter cartidge is removed, along with some ornaments that now have been cleansed with hot hot scalding water....

And slowly I am adding the salt (1 table spoon per 5 gallons, I dissolved a total of 1 tablespoon, and added 1/4 a while ago.) and watching for any stress signs in my bettas. I raised the temperature a little, and will continue to do that until it's nice and warm for the tropical fishies.

But hey, if she got ich in the store she would probably have died. Here at least I'll give her a fighting chance!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #6 
aurasoulful

You could get bags or cups to float the frog and snail in to keep their temperature while the rest of the tank is being treated. Do you have your beta cup(s)? You can use them so they won't climb out.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Hmm... I have a container I could float in there :) They are in a 20 gallon tank >< I would move them if they were for sure 110% not carriers of ich but they are in the tank - so they would have it D:

Thanks Aura for the suggestion :)
Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #8 
aurasoulful

You're welcome:) Good luck, I hope your ladies get well soon <3
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Oh so do I!!! They both seem to have reflecting purple on them. The larger girl, Marge, the one with ich, has lighter reflective purple (mood swings, the both of them) and Tina the littler gal has a darker purple. I would most enjoy seeing how pretty they get!!! But first I must get them better :)

By the way, for the treatment, by tomorrow mid-day/night I should have a total of 1 tablespoon added, as I am slowly increasing it. How often should I do water changes??
Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #10 
metalbetta

From my experience (no ich yet, but my columnaris outbreak was fun...), getting a quarantine tank to put the female showing symptoms in would probably be best. Easier to measure meds, won't have to use as much, and your fish won't be as stressed out while trying to recover. As for the other ones that aren't showing symptoms, ... I'd keep doing what you're doing with the salt and temp just in case, and hm. don't know what to tell ya on water changes. Buuut a quarantine tank might up the chances of your infected female recovering. Hope this helps!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote