Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I don't have another tank :( Or room for another one lmao. I have a bowl... but it won't be heated. Plus I JUST found out the heater in the community tank is NOT working!!! So I have to use Color's heater, which is an adjustable one.

Do you think he'd be okay with that? lol. the lights do warm the water...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #12 
Pataflafla

I think he'll be ok for a few days without it unless his water goes below 70. I'd just slow down feeding in the mean time since his metabolism will slow with colder temperatures.

Just be sure to clean his heater well before putting it back in with him.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Oh definitely will :)

So, I read that salt will kill the free swimming parasites of ich, and when the temperature (up to 86 apparently) will have the cycle of ICH go faster - so the salt is more effective. Is that entirely true?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #14 
Pataflafla

I think it is. The salt is only effective for so long before having to be redosed, so with the life cycle going faster, the salt can kill more parasites than if left to regular temperatures.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm ok :) then I shall immediately change the heater!!! His tank is usually kept at 80 degrees right now with the heater he has - the lights will keep it about 76-78 - with the light off it never ever lowers beneath 75 :)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I found out why the heater wasn't working. It wasn't on fully -.- silly thing... Now the temperature is increasing nicely... the heater seems to keep the temperature raising slowly, and safely which is nice. I added some more dissolved salt. I am doing quick gravel siphoning every day (less than 10% water change, just the quick gravel siphon) and I also found something.. another tank has ich. Minor, one spot, but it's okay I will have it under control in no time :)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #17 
Pataflafla

Ich tends to do that. Just when you think you're rid of it, it pops up in another tank. I just bought the Jungle medication for it so I didn't have to deal with all the salt water and time it took. I hate seeing my boys sick.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Yeah o.o My poor Spartan and the platys are in the "quickly spotted" ich. It's one spot, on Spartan. But it's enough for me to immediately use salt and siphon the gravel-less bottom!! Luckily my first 10 gallon tank with Colors is clean. Not a single sick or new fish enters that tank.

And there is ONE ich remedy stuff here. ONE D: "non-ich" or whatever. "one drop per gallon (20 drops??!!) for three days, then water change, then three days treatment again.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #19 
Pataflafla

That treatment sounds like a hassle. Jungle is 1 tsp/ 10 gal and 25% water change before another dose, but that's only if it doesn't clear up within the first 24 hours. I've never had to use more than 1 dose per outbreak.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Lucky!!! How come I am stuck in a "can't find what you need" place??? D: lol The other one does sound like a hassle. I'll take my chances with the salt. Takes about the same time lmao.