Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #1 
Myates

Green tea question

I put in decaf green tea into a couple of my tanks yesterday mid morning, letting it seep roughly 20 mins. The day prior I had done 100% water changes. This morning my tanks were cloudy.
Question: does green tea make the water cloudy? Could it be the brand? They weren't horribly cloudy, but noticeable. Do I need to up the water changes when using tannins such as the green tea?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #2 
Nexangelus

I've honestly never heard of anyone using green tea before, and am curious as to why you were using it. Products like Melafix/Primafix use "Tea extract" but that's about as close as I've heard.

Since I can't offer much insight on the cloudiness, as I don't have much knowledge on green tea in tanks, my best advice would be to follow the peat-moss principal. Given that aquarium use is not it's intended purpose, you need to be extra careful and mindful of additional additives and preservatives. Aim for the all-organic or better yet, organic leaves for steeping. That could be your problem, but again, its just a guess...
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote