Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #1 
Smokey65662

Talking Ultimate sororrity tank idea

So I am addicted to bettas, just like the lot of you around here I assume :P Anyway I am moving back into my room (family crap forced me into a smaller room) and I have a new piece of furniture that will easily support a 55 gallon tank. It also has room for a 30-40 gallon underneath it, which I wanted to make into a wet/dry sump for the main tank. I know that sumps arnt as popular amongst freshwater keepers but I wanted to do it simply to have the best...and maybe because I like building things myself :P Anyway I want the main tank to be home to 11 or more female bettas with lots of hiding spots and very heavily planted (fake). I think they will love this :))) The sump will have a few forms of filtration like moving bio media, sponges, carbon, etc but will also have a little spot to plant some live plants to eat up the nitrates. I drew a terrible picture of the sump setup in paint if anybody wants to see it. Im basically looking to see how many people like this idea. Currently I have two bettas in a 10 gallon w/divider...which i hate unconditionally. I want to give my male betta his space back and put the female in a sorority. Anyway let me know what you guys think. Any and all imput would be lovely, and seeing as I have a month or so before I can set it up I have lots of time to plan it out :) Also I plan on doing the fishless cycling if that matters to anybody wondering :P
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #2 
Myates

Sounds like a fun project =) Good luck and we would love to see your set up as you build it! Any questions just ask! I am unsure about the sump, but I'm sure you're doing your research. Welcome to the forums!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #3 
Smokey65662

Thankyou :) I am 99% sure this is what I will be doing. Its going to be a moth before i start doing it but im more than willing to show the progress of the setup on youtube as I build it :)
Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #4 
laughing

For a 55 gallon, I wouldn't have just 11 females. I would add around 19-25, with an ideal of around 19 or 21. :) it'll help spread aggression around and there will allow for groups and structure.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #5 
Smokey65662

Thats what I will do eventually. I dont think I can get that many females around here at the same time though, so I was going to get as many as I can (when the tank is cycled and ready), quarantine for a few days and see how they are doing, and then add them. As I get more girls I will add more in groups (unless this is a bad idea).
Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #6 
iloveengl

It sounds like you're thinking things through and planning accordingly. Glad you're gonna cycle it.

A 55g sorority sounds like a stunner. Can't wait to see it progress.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55gallon, betta, build, sorority, sump