Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Question What do you call a betta with no ray branchings???

I assume my female, Daisy, is a veil-tail since I got her at Petsmart, but her rays in her tail don't branch! They're just single, straight little rays. Does that make her a different tail-type, or is she still a veil-tail? It doesn't matter to me, I love her no matter what her tail type is, I'm simply curious. I can take pictures if needed, as well. Also, her tail and anal fin are fused for about 1/4 of an inch. Is that a rare trait? I've never seen that before o_o
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 
caitic10

What do you mean by branching?
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Like how a veil tail's rays split into two, and an HM splits into 4 or more. Daisy's rays don't split, they're just singles.

Like here's my first betta, vincent, he was a veil-tail. You can see the little lines (rays) in his tail split into two:

And here's my halfmoon, Sullivan, who's rays split into atleast four (hard to tell, his aren't as pronounced and they are very close together)

And here's a photo of Daisy, her rays don't split at all, they're just single. I'm just curious as to what tail-type that makes her.

I'm sorry if branching isn't the right word to describe what I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure it is.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #4 
PitGurl

I'm pretty sure she's a VT. I can see two rays. Anyone else?
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I've been following this a bit trying to really figure it out... I still think she's a VT. My granpa had two like that... not the same colors or not with the fused tail/anal fins but yeah.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

I had the filter removed from her tank (she kept scraping her little head on it D=) so now the light is stronger, and now I can see that there she has teeny tiny ray branchings right at the ends of her fins. They're just fractions of an inch away from the end of the tail, and it would be absolutely impossible to see them without strong light. So the mystery has been solved, she is a veil-tail!!! thank you to everyone for their input!! Still curious about her fused fins though, so if anyone knows about that i would appreciate any information!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #7 
BlakbirdxGyarados

... to be honest, I'm confused about the rays thing, lol. I thought I knew, but now... naaaaaah xD'
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #8 
Indyfishy

I know, I'm confused too, I thought that's what they were called D= And I think the splits are ray branchings.... it's crowntails that have extended ray branchings so that would make sense.... so confused x_X
Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Right, I was thinking CTs rays. And my halfmoon has a slight few on his anal fin, but... well, pet store mutts, you never know the true genetics.

I don't think it matters what/how many rays any other tail type has. Even if there are no rays, I think it's still based on shape of the tail, size of fins, etc., not the little rays they have... If I'm wrong, please correct me. :P It'd be interesting to know, and I'd like to have this be my new lesson for the day.

Anyway, I think it's a little too tedious to get worked over rays to determine tail types. Some are tiiiny. >>
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #10 
Indyfishy

The rays do matter to a degree, but i agree that the shape of the fins matters more. I've seen some veiltails that have 4 ray splits, but they are still obvious veiltails. However, halfmoons have to have four or more because they would never have such voluminous finnage without all the splits. And sometimes counting the rays is the only way to tell what tail-type a female is (if they don't have an obvious 180 degree spread already).