Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

How do i Baffle this Aqueon Filter?

Today i noticed my new Betta was being Pushed down by the filter in my tank. I tried the Water bottle method, but it didn't work. The bottle kept popping up and being pushed away by the outflow. Right now i have the filter unpluged because when it's on all he does is hide. The tank i have is the Aqueon 2.5 Mini Bow. I am using the filter that came with it. I attached a picture below. Is there anyway i can baffle this filter?

Last edited by ArcticRain; 09-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #2 
dsgems

Welcome ArcticRain!
I also have the Mini bow 2.5. It took me a while to get the plastic bottle in the right place to stay in place. It only needs to cover the front out flow area. So the bottom of the plastic bottle (sideways) only goes to the part that has the tub going down. It is the water intake. The bottle goes up over the front and over the filter pad about 3/4 of the pad. It does stay in place pretty good, most of the time. I plan to get a sponge to baffle the out flow. I think that may be more efficient. My Betta Kessler may have injured his fins on the edges of the plastic.
I hope this helps you. This forum has been great help for me as I am a beginner. Keep in touch!
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #3 
copperarabian

I used a aquarium sponge I cut up. It works perfectly and doesn't budge. It's also a great place for good bacteria to grow :D

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #4 
ArcticRain

Thank you! I don't have aquarium sponge at home, so now I have an reason to go to Petco!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #5 
ArcticRain

Ok, so I went to Petco and could not find aquarium sponge anywhere! So I asked one of the workers and she showed me Marineland Rite-Size Bonded Filter Pad. It says you can cut it to any size. So, will this work to Baffle my Filter? Or should I try something else?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #6 
missm83

i just got that tank today...my boy loved it but the filter was def to strong...so u used a real sponge..(i googled it and found out how some ppl use that)new one of course i cut it and placed it on top of the filter..it seems to be working well :)
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #7 
ArcticRain

Could I cut up the stuff I bought and put it on top of the real filter cartridge to make it thicker? Would that help?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #8 
iloveengl

You could get a pre-filter sponge.

http://www.petco.com/product/114946/...ment-Foam.aspx

It just slips right over the intake filter. (The part that sticks into the water and sucks water into the filter.)

It's quick and easy. :)
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #9 
ArcticRain

That's cool and it could work, but it's not the intake that's the problem. Also I really don't want something big and bulky in the tank. Do you think the plan of putting the filter pad on top of the real cartridge would be good?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #10 
iloveengl

Slowing the intake of water will slow the output, and thereby create less of a current, which I assumed was your goal.

You can use the filter padding you just bought to baffle the the filter the same way as the previous poster showed in her picture.

Ripping off a small piece of that filter padding and inserting it into the little cage at the end of the intake filter will baffle it as well.

I'm not certain if the flow would be limited by just adding another layer on top of your filter pad, but you could certainly give it a shot.

There's more than one way to slow the current. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

Last edited by iloveengl; 09-12-2011 at 11:02 PM.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote