Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #1 
SVC

Bad Reaction to Green Tea?

Just hoping someone can help on this subject. I am finding it extremely difficult to come across IAL or Oak leaves where I live, so I decided to try the decaf green tea route as some have suggested here.

I put some green tea in for the first time last night and my betta didn't seem to react too well to it. He got really still and started to hover at the top and gulp air every 10 seconds or so. I didn't feel right about it so I took him out and mixed some new water with conditioner and put him in there. He was a bit listless for a while and I noticed his belly and under his mouth got really pale and he started blowing bubbles out of his gills. Thankfully today he is better and he was only in the tea water for about 10 minutes before I pulled him out. I thougt I did everything right.

The way I prepared the water was I first boiled the water and steeped the tea bag (which was Lipton's Naturally Decafeinated Green Tea) in it till it was pretty yellow. Then I let the water cool down and brought it to exact temperature with ice cubes. Once I was certain it was the same temp as his tank water, I conditioned it with Prime and then put him in. I could tell it didn't agree with him at all!

Has anyone else had this reaction and what could have caused it? I think I will try to find the proper tannins but with import rules it is really hard. The only place I found that carries it was sold out and wasn't sure if they would get some more this month.

Thanks in advance for any help!
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry you had problems with your fish. Is the green tea decaffinates?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #3 
SVC

Yes, it was decaf. It said on the box, naturally decafeinated with carbon dioxide or something like that. It was the only decaf kind I could find and it was pure green tea, no flavourings or sweeteners etc.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

Did you add the tea water into the tank? Or did you place him directly into the tea water?
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Did you do a slow acclimation to to the chemistry of the tanned tea water...if you just did a temp acclimation....it was most likely osmotic shock....good that you got him back into his regular water ASAP...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #6 
SVC

Yikes, I just put him into the new tea water as I would have with a water change. He is still in his QT container so I am doing 100% water changes and normally that would consist of just water and conditioner but this time I used the tea water although I did dilute it with water and ice cubes(and conditioned it) to get it to the right temperature but honestly, I didn't even think about the difference in chemistry with the tea as opposed to the regular conditioned water!

Ugh, I am such an idiot. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to watch him like a hawk for those 10 minutes. How long will it take for him to recover from the shock? He seems to be almost normal now, but every now and then he just sits there looking dejected. :/
Old 09-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, poor thing. I hope he gets better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Hopefully your quick action and sharp eye saved him since osmotic shock or chemistry shock can sometimes be fatal within 24-48h...no treatment...but quick action to get them back in there regular water was the right move....good luck...how is he today....
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #9 
SVC

Good morning everyone and thanks for the replies. I'm happy to say that my little guy has built a bubble nest this morning so we are moving in the right direction! Whew! The incident was Saturday night so hopefully we are close to being out of the woods. He's a pretty tough guy and has survived quite a bit and I am just sorry I put him through that. It is true that you live and learn but I don't want to do so at his expense! Next time I will ask for exact steps before doing anything new!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Awesome.....good to hear he is better...just always remember to acclimate to both chemistry and temp with anything new you add to the water...even if you used it in the past....kinda a better safe than sorry thing.....