Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Can bettas get fin damage from swimming more than usual?

Since I moved Jalen from his 1 gal to his 2.5 gal, it looked like he sustained some fin damage. it didn't look like biting or rot, but a small bit of tearing and breaking. I do see some regrowth, but every couple days or so I see another small tear. Could it be from being more active?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #2 
bettafish15

Is he flaring more often?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #3 
Myates

If you made sure that any plastic plants or buildings aren't sharp in any way, or spiky..
It is possible for fins to tear when swimming, they are thin as tissue paper. The longer he is in his new tank, the stronger he will become and it won't tear as much. Right now he's shaking his fins faster/more so he just needs to strengthen up some.
Do you have a filter in there? If so, is it very very soft or baffled? If you have one, it could be too strong and that is what is making his fins tear as well.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #4 
SnowySurface

I noticed that with my crown tail. In my case I upgraded him from 1 gallons to 5 gallons so I think the jump was a bit too big to suddenly. At first I tought I would have to move him back to his old tank because he kept losing the very tips of his tail, but he's adjusted now. His fins are almost back, but I think crown tails are more prone to losing tips of their tails because of the really thin ray shaped tips. So, increased swimming or filter strenght can cause some fin damage.

I moved Luigi first and didn't see any problems since his tail just falls gently and swishes behind him. I think that makes him a veil tail (shrug). I think the bettas with the simpiler tails have less issues with current and swim time. If you fish has a more delicate tail than usual like Snowy, then the breaking should stop once he adjusts to the new filter. I should have realized Snowy would have more trouble than Luigi with the bigger filter, but that's hindsight for you. I have no idea why my fish still put up with me. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #5 
freeflow246

No filter, and he hardly ever flares, even at his reflection. His fins do seem to be getting a little better, but he definitely seems to have more fragile fins than I remember my last bettas having. No spiky plants to tear them up, either.
I'll keep an eye on him to make sure they don't get infected, but I'm hoping that they get a little stronger soon.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

If you want, lower the water level and just slowly increase the amount as he gets stronger. Increased swimming will tear the fins, so giving him less space so he can build up his muscles might be helpful. Halfmoons are particularly susceptible because of their large and heavy fins.
They also are prone to tail biting because they are just so darn heavy!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #7 
freeflow246

Yea, Jalen is a delta, but he's definitely a tail biter lol. I'll try lowering the water level if I don't see improvement in the next few days.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 
freeflow246

I've also been feeding him a lot of bloodworms. I figure that some extra protein can't hurt.