Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Question Help with ich in a planted tank

This is a first time problem for me, ICH. :< One of the girls in my sorority has 3-4 white spots on her, none of the other fish do but I have to treat the entire tank anyway. :/
I've read about the whole salt and heat treatment but I can't use it because I have a lot of plants in that tank. What else can i do? Should I get some ich medication although that can only be done tomorrow, the closest lfs to me is closed on Mondays.
Should I quarantine the ichy betta or let her be with the rest as they will all get treated?
I have an oto in there as well, will the ich meds affect him adversely?
I read that malachite green is a good medicine for it, should I get that or something that claims it cures ich, like Rid-All Anti ich? :/

Thanks in advance! :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Bump! D:
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would QT her and watch the tank....is she new to the tank or had she had something stressful happen to her that caused a compromised immune response......like being new, picked on, injury...etc.....I know with my planted tanks when I get one fish with a few Ich spots it is usually related to being the new guy so-to-speak/stress related.....and it usually will resolve on its own without any treatment in a day or two......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Thanks for replying Ofl! She isn't new to the tank and she's the alpha, nobody dares to pick on her lol! I'll quarantine her then and see what happens. Should I add aquarium salt to the water? I don't have an extra heater though. :(
Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You can...but, I would just do a two cup treatment with minor Ich....get two cups and switch her out each day-using fresh/dechlorinated like temp water-be sure and let the used cup sit dry after you rinse it for 24h-to kill any Ich that may be in the cup....with minor Ich-I don't use high heat and depending on how the Betta is acting and overall health....I may or may not use salt....I rely on manual removal of the parasite for control.....
Do the two cup treatment for 3 days PAST the last day you could see the parasite on her body.....

Something else may be going on in the tank if she is the alpha...either lost her spot or something.....depending on how dense the rooted plants-I would try to vacuum the bottom the best you can without disturbing the plant roots and make a 50% water change today and again tomorrow.....
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #6 
fightergirl2710

I'll try that method then. It's weird but sometimes I see small white dots and sometimes they're gone. This happens in the same day. Could it be something else?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It could...and she could have already shed the parasite-whats the water temp.....with a health Betta to start-sometimes they will take care of it themselves.....

But I would still make a couple of daily water changes in the display tank...it is a closed system after all....
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

The temperature in the tank is around 82 degrees at all times. Hopefully she is taking care of it herself. She is the biggest girl I've got. :)
Apart from the water changes in the tank, I should quarantine her as you suggested previously right?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Thats up to you...but it wouldn't hurt if she still has what appears to be parasites on her...I would lower your water temp to 78-80F...low normal is better than high normal for longevity and bacteria reasons....
Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #10 
tf1265

My experiences with bettas and ich is that it tends to be less responsive to the meds and more responsive to salt. Bettas are hardy enough that the salt isn't too stressful on them. If she is big and otherwise healthy, I would add salt to the cup water - 1tsp/gallon is the normal recommended amount, so just make sure you know the volume of the cups and add salt accordingly - too much is worse than too little.

But old fish lady is definitely far more expert than me, so perhaps see if it just clears up on its own and if it doesn't, try the salt.

The heat has to be at least 86 degrees to have an affect on the ich parasite, and it doesn't kill them, it simply prevents them from being able to reproduce, so it's not always necessary to turn up the heat.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote