Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

8 months?....

Ok, lets put it this way; how big approx. (in cm/inch - body only/excluding fins) are they (male and female)............ 8 months females and they're 4x smaller, I'm guessing you included the tail of your male.

When calculating breeding size..... or for what ever purpose, do not include the fins. Bodies of all tail types may be similar. But if you include fins. long finned types will measure longer.

Only the anal fins are useful during breeding. IMO - it catches falling eggs thus giving bigger chances of being fertilized. Further, tails are not used for embracing - so if you cut them off, it will not affect breeding.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #12 
PiscisAmor

Hmmm... Excellent point. It's hard cuz you dont mean to include fins but they make the body look bigger. Body wise I guess he's probably only twice the size of the biggest female (the one I'm planning on using)
PiscisAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Are you sure your females are about 8 months? Either you have their age wrong or they are badly stunted...... Just make sure they are willing to breed before releasing.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote