Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #1 
Fieldz

Red face To eat pea or not to eat?

I saw ALOT of people saying to feed your betta a pea once a month or two because its good against constipation, and I saw ALOT of people saying NOT to feed it or it may die since they dont eat that in the wild (nature). So, what do you think? I never saw my betta do that thing ( I think he does because I have gravel and his water gets dirty ) since like a week.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I wouldn't do the pea method. Bettas are carnivores and cannot digest the pea.

Just fast your betta once a week and if he does get bloated or constipated, fast him and use 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt.

My view on the pea method is: why put more in if nothing is coming out.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 
Fieldz

Thats true. Do you soak your pellets before feeding them to your Betta/bettas?

Last edited by Fieldz; 09-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #4 
tf1265

I use peas for swim bladder issues. Bettas are omnivores. I've never heard of using it for constipation, but I guess it makes sense since the point is that they are high-fiber foods. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but if you notice a problem I'd go for it. I don't know why a betta wouldn't be able to digest a pea when they can (and do) digest plant matter such as algae and mixed tropical food flakes every day.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #5 
caitic10

Don't do it. Bettas are carnivores, it's not very good to feed a carnivore veggies. Their digestive systems are meant for meat and insects and not larger amounts of plant matter like peas. They can not digest peas properly, thus making it worse when your Betta is constipated.

If you are worried, don't feed your Betta for a day. This will help with digestion. Why? Imagine a tube. Everything in the tube is jammed, but needs to get out. If you keep putting things in the tube, you will only jam it more. By leaving it alone, you will allow the jam to work itself free and leave the tube.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
Thats true. Do you soak your pellets before feeding them to your Betta/bettas?
I usually don't unless I'm taking care of my sister's chronic swimbladder one. He gets fed a little less and his food is soaked. I only feed 3 pellets at a time max to my others at around 7 am. They then get 12 hours to digest before any more food.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

I keep mine in a planted tank, so if they ever get the urge to eat something green they can. However, after being left without food for the past 3 weekends (being fed during the week!) they have yet to resort to eating plants. I wouldn't want to 'trick' them into eating greens bye putting them on the surface like some fake pellet.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 
Fieldz

So, 6 pellets a day? I saw a man saying 4 or 5... Whatever
Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #9 
dragonflie

To clarify on the peas:

They are indeed undigestible, that is the point per se; they act as roughage (as fiber does in us) to help move things along so to speak.

Most betta forums I have come across recommend peas along with fasting to help when some bettas are having trouble passing waste.

I'm not sure I would feel it's necessary to add peas to a bettas diet UNLESS they happen to be one that is prone to constipation, as some of them are.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

My 10 gallon gets 5-6 pellets a day simply because it's divided twice so the males like to run the divider and flare. If the tank is only inhabited by 1 fish, then it's usually 4-5 pellets because they're in view of the 10 gallon and flare when the males go to the bottom.

ratchet is the only one of mine that gets fed less because he easily bloats and because he doesn't get too much exercise since he cannot handle being around other bettas, so he gets 3-4 pellets.
On top of this, I fast at least once a week and feed a varied diet of pellets, chunks of krill, and chunks of meal worms (thoroughly soaked since the shells are too hard).