Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #11 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
So, 6 pellets a day? I saw a man saying 4 or 5... Whatever
Depends on your own fish.. some are bigger and are good with that many, some do better with less. Anywhere between 4-6 is common, and if you can feed them in small amounts, even better. IE: 2 for breakfast, 1 for lunch, 2 for dinner.

As for the peas... the pea method is for goldfish with SBD/bloating... unsure why some went from giving it to goldfish to thinking it's for bettas as well
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #12 
hufflepuffyfish

my Haruhi would never eat when I first got her. She wouldn't eat for like two weeks. So I fed her a tiny piece of pea for a few days. (I dno why she wanted to eat the pea and not the other food). Soon she started eating regular fishy foods again... but I had to do it slowly. After the pea I fed her flakes... then I fed her pellets. Now I feed her Pellets and sometimes bloodworms. (Rarely rarely peas.)
This is simply my experience with peas. Maybe it's just jargon though... lol
hufflepuffyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #13 
iloveengl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post
To clarify on the peas:

They are indeed undigestible, that is the point per se; they act as roughage (as fiber does in us) to help move things along so to speak.

Most betta forums I have come across recommend peas along with fasting to help when some bettas are having trouble passing waste.

I'm not sure I would feel it's necessary to add peas to a bettas diet UNLESS they happen to be one that is prone to constipation, as some of them are.
+1
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #14 
shrazybunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
why put more in if nothing is coming out.
XD
My betta constipates really easily.He only eats 2 pellets each meal (two meals a day) some meals being bloodworms, and he still constipates really easily.
Should I use epsom salt? If I use that, then would I end up using it always?
If I use epsom salt, should I then change the water everyday and add salt after each change or should I change it on the normal schedule (two 100% a week) and add salt after the water change?
shrazybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #15 
Aquarianblue

My wisdom on the matter.

I'm sure this thread may start to confuse you. So let me directly answer your question with experience. Using peas as roughage for a betta is an absolutely bad idea. Do not do it, please. If your betta does get constipated, fast it. Give it some aquarium/epsom salt. I have had a friends betta die as a result. I've never tried it. And I can assure you, I've had some very susceptible bloaters/swim bladder disease cases, and I've never done the pea and they always made it through and 0 deaths as a result. So, that's just by the numbers, by me. I'm sure many other members would agree with this. Also, I thought I'd offer some friendly advice. Freeze-dried treats have a bad tendency to bloat fish. So I would recommend the use of thawed frozen bloodworms, or even brineshrimp as a treat. Another common thing that can bloat your friend. Ghost shrimp. Lol. They like to snack on them occasionally. So be sure to look out for that as well. I hope the answers everyone and myself provide helps you make the right decision. (which is no peas, ever. )
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #16 
SwayLocks

alright so i tried using the pea for a laxative and my betta vomited up the pieces about 15 min later after eating it. NEVER AGAIN well i use the pea method..

Last edited by SwayLocks; 09-15-2011 at 11:09 PM.
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #17 
SwayLocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarianblue View Post
i'm sure this thread may start to confuse you. So let me directly answer your question with experience. Using peas as roughage for a betta is an absolutely bad idea. Do not do it, please. If your betta does get constipated, fast it. Give it some aquarium/epsom salt. I have had a friends betta die as a result. I've never tried it. And i can assure you, i've had some very susceptible bloaters/swim bladder disease cases, and i've never done the pea and they always made it through and 0 deaths as a result. So, that's just by the numbers, by me. I'm sure many other members would agree with this. Also, i thought i'd offer some friendly advice. Freeze-dried treats have a bad tendency to bloat fish. So i would recommend the use of thawed frozen bloodworms, or even brineshrimp as a treat. Another common thing that can bloat your friend. Ghost shrimp. Lol. They like to snack on them occasionally. So be sure to look out for that as well. I hope the answers everyone and myself provide helps you make the right decision. (which is no peas, ever. :-d)
100% agree
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #18 
Aquarianblue

I'm sorry that happened to your betta. Just fast her, and put her in abit warmer water 80-82, and give her daily water changes, she'll be fine. I'm so glad you will no longer try this.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #19 
H20Gardner

I tried feeding mine a pea. He just totally ignored it - I don't think he realized that it was edible.
H20Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #20 
Aquarianblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Gardner View Post
I tried feeding mine a pea. He just totally ignored it - I don't think he realized that it was edible.
Further proof. Bettas don't even see it as food, usually.