Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #1 
Princess Penny

New Divider!

I made my divider tonight, hurray! It's a little warped/lopsided, but it was the best I could do :\ Seems to be pretty sturdy though, I'm going to leave it in a few days to make sure Ammo can't get through to the other side before putting Masuka in there. If all goes well, I plan to add him on Friday. Yay!

Wish I could have found black spines. Oh well.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 
MMAsac
Banned

haha, yeah all I could find were blue spines....they look dumb in there but o well, it does its job!
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #3 
Findlay

Looks pretty good to me

I looked EVERYWHERE for binders/spines... I came across some 'poster hanger' at Walmart. If you look where they sell posters - you should find it!
It's awesome. I used sealant, since it doesn't make a flat connection with the tank walls.
It's black and it's only 3$ for like 24 inches (x2).
Just a tip, if you wanted to change it up.

Last edited by Findlay; 09-12-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #4 
Princess Penny

Thanks! I actually found the report covers at Walmart, barely. I slooooowly crept through the office supplies until I spotted some, I think it was the last package they had and it was in the wrong bin too haha. I considered the poster frame thingys, good thing I didn't get them because I wouldn't have wanted to use sealant (want it to be removable)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #5 
iloveengl

I actually think the white looks great! And don't worry about the warping; it's almost inevitable to have it bend if it's a secure fit without using sealant.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #6 
Princess Penny

Oh good, I thought I was just being a DIY divider noob :P
Probably doesn't help that the front side of the tank is curved, either >.<
Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #7 
Vaughan06

You need to use sealant. I've seen too many people complain recently about their Bettas near killing eachother because "divider slipped" or "Betta hopped divider".

I've sealed all of mine and have never once had this problem.

Here is my first divided tank:

And my current:

Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #8 
tlyons01

I really like all of those divided tanks, I have one as well. I had thought that having the smaller holes in the mesh was keeping mine from filtering on both sides so I found some with bigger holes. Needless to say, my HM started eating his own tail after a few days. Had to change back to the smaller holed mesh, and remove him altogether. I would like to ask you, is that tank the one that is sold for bookshelves from Petco? I have been eyeballing it for at least a month. I really want it, but can't justify spending the money on it right now. I have 2 Bettas left that do not yet have big tanks, and one kids room that has no fish. I wonder, is it easy to get into the top, if it were on a bookshelf? I may have to start a fund to get it... just wondered
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #9 
Princess Penny

Yeah it is that tank, I love it! It's perfect for bettas, if you ask me, since it's long and shallow :)

Vaughan, no disrespect but I want to try it without sealant for now. Having a couple inches of sand at the bottom really helps keep it from moving, in fact if I want to adjust it at all I have to completely pull it out (trust me, I did this over and over until I got it how I wanted it!). There's no way the fish could jump it, it goes all the way to the top, and this tank has a clear plastic lid that the hood sits on top of so there is literally no space at the top for them to get over. I am worried that the filtration isn't getting to the other side though, I can see the surface of the water moving on the one side and on the other side, it is completely stagnant (which is good for betta, I guess). So I *might* cut a couple slightly larger slits at the top to help with that, but I'm not sure yet. This is why I put it in early, so I can monitor how things are going and make adjustments if I need to, before adding the other betta :)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I couldnt find those stupid report covers anywhere so I gave in an ordered a home made divider off ebay. It came with a clip type thing to attach it to the tank. I have saran wrap over the top.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote