Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #1 
BettaMiah

Betta fish and African Dwarf Frogs?

Hello! I am new to this site and have 2 very loved Betta fish.

They are in what I believe is a 3 gallon tank, however it is really large. The manufacturer might have mislabeled it, I would not be surprised if it was actually 5 gallons.

Anyways, it has a heater, and a filter for up to ten gallons, and a Divider for my 2 Betta fish. Ryu and Yuuki. My little brother has 2 African Dwarf Frogs, and I would really like them two. I was thinking 1 for each side. Both my Betta fish are very sweet and docile, one won't even attack or flare, and the other one won't kill anything. He just shows who's who's boss.

So what do you think?
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #2 
Silverfang

I think that in a 5 gal the two boys would be enough for the bioload, just to be on the safe side. Generally in a 5 gal we advice no more than 2 boys (Divided of course), or 1 male and a snail or some shrimp.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

Yes. Plus I have a strong filter. It at least doubles the tank size. It also does not have a blocked flow. I was actually a little worried because of the current, but both boys do not have a problem with it. They do a good job swimming against it. The only time I see them struggle is when they are focused on jumping for their food, and it drags them back a little.

Before I got double filtration for my 10 gallon with a growing Goldfish, it filtered that really good.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #4 
BettaMiah

Anyone else?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well, the bettas alone really are okay for the tank. If it were one male and one frog, I'd say go for it. But remember the frogs like company, so best not to divide them. There is no way for them to see each other without the male bettas getting through as well... They make be docile divided, but trust me territory is another thing :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #6 
BettaMiah

Actually, they would be able to see and visit each other. Ever once in awhile I would let them have a little fish play date, and I believe they might be able to get to each others side. There are some really small slits that Yuuki can't get through, but I think they could.

I also have frog food and Blood worms already bought for them.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Remember that if the frog can get through, the bettas may try. I have seen this happen with someone else... but his betta got caught... tore his fins the first time and second time got stuck and had to be removed (I dont know if he is still alive) so just be warned.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #8 
BettaMiah

Aieeeeeee! Okay. I just shoved some plants there. Now there is now way my little troublemakers can get through.

How do you think the Bioload would do? Unless it would all be good and everyone would survive, I would not try it.

I already have a quarantine tank set up and everything.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #9 
BettaMiah

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Good with the extra tank. How big is it? I don't know... frogs are actually quite messy lol. or that is what I found with my one munching menace. Oh yeah!! give each frog hiding spots :) they tend to eat the betta's fins. So if you wanted to try, signs of tattered fins is the frog more than likely. That's what my silly thing did to poor Spartan's fins lol.

If the quarantine tank is bigger... why not use that? :p But yeah because the frogs are messy it is iffy...