Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #1 
Yaoilover12397

Is this okay?

So I have a 29 Gallon tank which will contain a sorority/community tank.

By the end it should hold. How does this look?

5 Female Bettas
1 Male Molly
1 Clown Loche
3 Aenus Corydora
3 False Juli Corydora
1 Bamboo Shrimp
1 Glofish
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

Sorry, awful set up. Corys need at least 4 and at least 30 gallons to shoal properly. 1 Bamboo shrimp won't do you any good. Instead I recommend at least 5 Ghost Shrimp or Cherry Shrimp. They are great! Glofish are major fin nippers and that will cause problems and also need to be in a group of at least 6, at least 15 gallons. The male molly will probably get attacked and it is just awful. Mollys like to have buddies.

So just get the bettas, a few shrimp, and the loach. You could ex-out the loach and get 2 or 3 african dwarf frogs, though.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #3 
Yaoilover12397

Mhm to be honest I've done my reserch. As well as a lot of what you say goes aganist what many of the more experienced people here have told me before. Cories should be of groups of 3+ and do not need 30 Gallons. They need around 20 in small groups. As well as even if its 30 I have 29, not that far off.

I actually have the glofish from before and hes the only survivor of a group of seven after my mother listened to some LPS advice which killed off a bunch of my fish.

Also in my opinon ADFs are yucky. As well as bettas usually eat cherry and ghost shrimp so I'd prefer not to get them.

Your only point is on the molly, his two females died and well, I don't want to get rid of him and don't have enough space to get him more as well as they were gifts in the first place and as much as I love them I don't plan to get more.

Although depending on if I swap my 29 for a 75 then I may consider getting him two or three females.

Lastly, your wording was very rude. I've seen you talk to others this way as well and find it very appalling.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

If you do end up getting more mollies, I'd suggest going all one gender. The males usually only fight if there aren't enough females, but the females can get pregnant every month and have quite a few babies. They're usually pregnant when you get them from a store (Sister got one that was pregnant and now we have 20 fry after a die off period). A few male mollies can get along just fine. I've got 2 in a 5 gallon right now.

I've always heard that cory cats like to be in groups of 4 or up and that they'll only go with their species in that aspect. So maybe get 4 of each cory you're wanting or get a few more of 1 kind. I think 4 of each would be a bit cramped for the bottom though.

I would keep the glofish solitary or in a shoal of his own kind in a separate tank.

You could probably skip out on the shrimp all together since 1 won't be able to do too much. I don't know how big bamboo shrimp are or how expensive, but it might get eaten by a few betta girls if they decide to team up.

As far as the clown loach goes I have no idea. I think they like to be in groups, but I'm not sure. I just see them at the store and think they're pretty.

I think it's generally 2 gallons of water per inch of fish that's the stocking rule to go by. Don't quote me on that though since I've only ever stocked bettas and a few ghost shrimp.

Reading my text and it's like a block wall. :C Better sum it up cuz I had a hard time reading through it all.

My suggestion:
5 female bettas
8 Corydoras(at least 4 of each)
1-3 Clown Loach (Don't know they're preference for tank area or friends)
2 male mollies

Separate tank for Your glofish+ glofish buddies

Last edited by Pataflafla; 09-24-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #5 
BettaMiah

Pretty close, Pataflafla. :3 You got it. NO GLOFISH STILL!
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #6 
Yaoilover12397

@BettaMiah. I don't think you havve ever heard it but, you can catch more flies with honey then with vinegar. I have had my glofish with Bettas before and never had an issue with fin nipping. As well as I would have to take him back to the pet store which I would hate to do. Also as of now I'd ask you to stop posting in my thread because I would not like to fight with you and you are being just rude.

@Pataflafla

Well I'm not really usng the shrimp as a cleaner but more so as a cute little addition, he has some hidey places and my bettas before hand have never botherd him.

Just to let you know my tank currently holds

1 Bamboo Shrimp
1 Female Betta
1 Clown Loche
1 Molly
2 Aenus Cory
1 Juli cory
1 Glofish

So the add ons would be

4 more Female bettas
1 more Aenus Cory
2 more Juli cories

I will also consider 1 more male molly.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

Ok then. Well, since you don't want to bring your glofish back to the petstore (understandably) I think they like groups of 6, and since you've never had issues that group might work out. I know they tend to be a little nippy, but maybe with 5 others he'll focus on his friends more than the bettas.

I would just worry about over stocking with the additions and 5 more glofish. Is a separate tank for him and some buddies an option?

And if you're not having issues with the shrimp, then I guess you've got the all green on that. Hopefully he'll be too creepy looking for your girls to bother. (My sorority recently went through the addition of 4 ghost shrimp and they're terrified of the shrimp.)

Another issue is the bettas being pigs and eating food they're not supposed to. That's always gonna be a problem, so I guess it's just gonna have to be comprehensive feeding schedule.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #8 
Yaoilover12397

@Pataflafla

A seprate tank now isn't an option. Untill January my only hope for before then is the fact my mom really wants seahorses which if it happens she will take my 29 Gallon BioCube I would then get a 75 gallon which I would split into a 55 Gallon with 6 3.3 gallons or 8 2.5 Gallons.

As of now I have all female bettas on order and shipper here so they are a done deal.

The only ones not account for/gotten yet are the cories.

Last edited by Romad; 09-24-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

Well, you could technically get it so there are 3 of each type and they should be relatively happy. You could keep your loche singular for now, the shrimp really isn't a problem, and your molly should be fine alone for now. Mollies like groups, but they do ok alone for a little while.

Maybe 4 glofish for now would work out.

So
5 female bettas
6 cories
1 loche
1 shrimp
1 molly
3-4 glofish

Just as a for now until you're able to get your bigger tank and/or a separate one for the glofish.

I just know that mollies are huge poopers, but that's probably something you already know well about.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #10 
Yaoilover12397

@Pataflafla. Hmm I like that. I'll get one more Aenus Cory and two more false Juli and 3 more glofish.