Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #11 
BettaMiah

Tons of hiding spots. :3

It is a small tank, 1 gallon. I know that is too small for them to live in long term, but it has a sponge filter and when I go to get them I will try to get the youngest ones I can.

So, would you do it?
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

I don't know... like I said one betta and one frog, definitely. I mean both have labrynths, but it's the waste I worry about. My 5 gallon I had, I cleaned twice weekly. Anymore than that could send the fish or frogs into shock, and probably kill off good bacteria. With double the critters, it's double the cleaning..especially because of the frogs. Try one frog first? Then if all goes well for 2 weeks or so, try the other frog. Watch for signs in the bettas and the frog. Also, if buying them I highly recommend quarantining them for 2 weeks anyways just in case they carry some parasite or disease you cannot see.

Should only put in one fish/frog in at a time anyways to avoid ammonia fluctuation :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #13 
BettaMiah

Okay. I do a 10% every week.

But again, that is because my filter.

It is really strong, actually. Because this tank was supposed to be for Goldfish. (Stupid, Goldfish need huge tanks, I would never put mine in that thing)

And actually, I used to have 2 Goldfish in it. I never had an ammonia problem. And i'm sure you know how much waste even 1 Goldfish makes.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Oh trust me... I know goldies are messy little guys lol! And although the filter is strong, I would suggest maybe splitting the cleaning to twice a week. So... you said 10% per week? To keep ammonia down throughout the week, try gravel siphoning twice a week quickly. You have a siphon, right? If not I highly recommend to get one :) They are so awesome... lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #15 
BettaMiah

OHHHHHHH. I just figured something out!

It is 5 gallons, but it only holds 3! I get it, like a 3 Gallon only holds 1.5 gallons of water, well then this 5 gallon must only hold 3, so really it is 5 gallons, but instead of saying that they just put how much it actually holds!

OHHHHHHHH.

Okay, it is a 5 gallon I think.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #16 
BettaMiah

I do.

It is just really hard, I have to take the divider out and one fish and all the decor to gravel Vac it. Ugh. Maybe I can get a little plastic tube that will fit and I won't have to take out the divider.

My Gravel Vac is for my 40 gallon with my Goldfish, so it is pretty big.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

That applies depending on what else is there. If there is nothing, the tank is completely empty, then a 5 gallon holds 5 gallons. With rocks, a heater, a filter and plants water is displaced, therefore yes, there is less water. Which is why it is so iffy with adding frogs to your tank. For instance my 20 gallon community tank (now successfully killing the ich parasite :) ) probably holds 18 gallons because of rocks and ornaments.

It isn't really "half" that it holds... always depends on what you have in there :)

Haha wow... btw good job on a good sized tank for the goldies. And secondly, mine is the smallest I could find.. And I got it from walmart. about 12 dollars, and does okay for smaller spaces... Do you have gravel in the betta's tank, or larger rocks? even a simple tube works if you have rocks and not gravel. Otherwise gravel gets stuck in the tube ><
Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #18 
BettaMiah

I just found one. It is the excess tube from my Bubbler. It is really small.... might have to get a bigger one.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #19 
BettaMiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
That applies depending on what else is there. If there is nothing, the tank is completely empty, then a 5 gallon holds 5 gallons. With rocks, a heater, a filter and plants water is displaced, therefore yes, there is less water. Which is why it is so iffy with adding frogs to your tank. For instance my 20 gallon community tank (now successfully killing the ich parasite :) ) probably holds 18 gallons because of rocks and ornaments.

It isn't really "half" that it holds... always depends on what you have in there :)

Haha wow... btw good job on a good sized tank for the goldies. And secondly, mine is the smallest I could find.. And I got it from walmart. about 12 dollars, and does okay for smaller spaces... Do you have gravel in the betta's tank, or larger rocks? even a simple tube works if you have rocks and not gravel. Otherwise gravel gets stuck in the tube ><

It comes with rocks and a plant and a huge filter, so yeah, I think that is the case. It actually came with way too many rocks, if I put all of them in there, it would be like 2 inches thick.

I have gravel. And a very small amount. I like to keep it shallow so the filter gets most of it.

Thanks, when I go to college I will be getting a 75 gallon. A 40 gallon is all my parents will allow. It is a huge tank.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Haha yeah it is :) And the bubbler tube will work temporarily. And yeah I got a pre-used tank (from like the 90's...) that has 2 inches of purple rocks!!! I have to churn them so I can get all the gunk lol. Okay, well when you do water changes just take a spoon and churn the gravel so you can get lots of the gunk out lol.