Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Light bulbs

I'm wanting to have a planted tank, but I honestly don't know what to look for in a light bulb to know if it's good or not... Right now, I have a marimo ball in my 5g while its cycling, but later on when it's finished cycling I'd like to be able to add an anubias or two, and maybe an anacharis or something equivalent that can be used as a background. I have a 5,000k at the moment, but should I replace it with a 6,500k or more instead? And when going to the store, do they usually list the kelvins? I'm trying to look at Petsmart online, but it's not really saying anything except that it's either fluorescent or incandescent along with the watts....
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The 5000K bulb should be fine for the species of plants you have or plan to have-as long as it is under 1yr old...when it is time to replace the bulb or you plan other higher need light plants...get the 6500k "daylight" bulb....I get my bulbs in the lighting dept not the aquarium section...cheaper and they usually will have both the kelvin and watts rating on the package and/or bulb itself....you also want to start the plants on a 10h/day photoperiod-increasing to 12h/day to support plant growth....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Alrighty, great ^.^ Thanks Ofl! I just got the tank, so the light bulb should be perfect at the moment. When the time comes, I'll go to the store and see if they have any good bulbs I can find- I wasn't sure what to get since Petsmart didn't even find it relevant to list the kelvins and such on the bulbs, so it just confused me -.-;; and I wasn't sure how often they had kelvins listed on lights in regular stores, but now I know it's not impossible to find ^.^
I have another question. Is it okay to get the plants and add them to the tank while its cycling? Or would it mess up the cycling and/or slow it down? It's a 5g and I recall a lot of people saying the cycle for a tank that size is doable, but it's still a bit unstable... so little changes can restart the cycle. I figured the marimo wouldn't hurt since it's so small... but the little thing might make the difference >.>;;
Old 09-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Its not so much that plants mess up the cycling process as the active growing plants (mainly stem & floating) can cause skewed water test results as they use ammonia for food before conversion (silent cycle) and you may not see the nitrate reading to help you know when the cycle has established...it will still cycle-but lots of floating and stem plants that are actively growing-it may take along time before you see nitrate-if ever...depending on number, species, growth state-vs-stocking......
Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Oh lord.. x.x.... So I'm assuming that means wait on the plants.. Should I take out the marimo ball? I mean, it's really tiny, but if it's gonna make a difference, then I'll take him out until the cycling is done. I don't think he minded chilling on my window sill anyway xD
Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

A single marimo ball shouldn't make a difference......its more when you have lots of stem and floating plants.....I think your fine keeping it in the tank while your doing the fishless cycle....
Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Alrighty, that's good to know ^.^ Thanks, Olf! You're the best!!