Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #1 
IamBonner

Question Too muich light?

I keep my tank light on pretty much 24/7 and at night I angle it towards the wall so it's not directly on my Betta. Could that be harming him at all? :( He has the beginnings of finrot so I'm going to the petstore today to see what I can do about it.
IamBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamBonner View Post
I keep my tank light on pretty much 24/7 and at night I angle it towards the wall so it's not directly on my Betta. Could that be harming him at all? :( He has the beginnings of finrot so I'm going to the petstore today to see what I can do about it.
Keeping the light on 24/7 may stress him out.Leaving the lights on too long can also cause issues with algae after while..I keep my light on for around 9-10 hours. I turn them on around 9am and off around 7pm.
The best treatment for finrot is clean water and aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon pre-mixed in a water jug.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #3 
IamBonner

thanks for the reply! I assume the petstore will know what I should be looking for when I ask for aquarium salt? They've helped me out alot so far. Do I keep him in the salt water or just for a few mins?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #4 
Myates

Bettas require the night/day cycle, as do all animals/humans. They need time to go into their "sleep" to stay healthy and active. Otherwise it just slowly breaks them down and they become sick easier and stressed. So turning it off would be the best idea.. if you want a little of something, a night light semi close would be better. But they do need dark.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #5 
Myates

Jungle Aquarium salt
1tsp per gallon, 100% daily water changes with the water conditioner added as well.
Make sure you let the salt sit for about 30 mins in a cup/jug then stir/swish to get it completely dissolved or it can burn your guy. Do the treatment 10-14 days, no longer, and no less then 10 or it may not clear it all up. Just make sure to do the daily 100% water changes and add in new salt each time.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #6 
IamBonner

thanks so much! heading out the door now!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

depending on the size of your tank, 100% water change might be a bit much...You can float him in his main tank in the cup he came in and do 100% water changes of the cup.. or use a smaller quarantine tank for treatment... 7 days is usually a good enough time to see improvement in fins if it is early finrot.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #8 
IamBonner

He has a 1.5 gallon tank. I am alittle worried about daily changes because he always seems a little freaked when I do clean it once a week. he spazes out a little for about 15 mins.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #9 
IamBonner

He took too the first change swimmingly. :) Light is off for the night so he can get some rest. Decided to not put the filter in since I'll be changing the water daily so he has little bit more swimming room. I hope he doesn't hate me for putting him through all this tonight!