Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #1 
Osiris355

Nova

so today i changed novas water and put i a 10w heater. is it typical for them after the first water change to be stress? Im sure he is but he caused it himself bacause he would not go in the cup of let me catch him in the net. i got him thoguh after 5mins or so. Also any ideas how to make it faster for me to catch him?
Osiris355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #2 
Myates

Get the cup ready at the top of the water.. hold it there for a few secs so he sees it not moving.. drop in a piece of food right in front of cup. See if he comes up for it, if he does, lower the cup and allow the suction of the water entering the cup to grab him as you move the cup towards him. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What size tank, filter, live plants, additive used, type of decoration in the tank, water temp......

Other than the problems catching him-how did you re-acclimate him to the tank after the water change.....

What stress signs/symptoms is he showing and have they resolved-if so, how long did it take....

Just want to make sure the cause of the stress-so we can help make it easier on both of you.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #4 
tf1265

Once your betta gets comfortable the water changes will get easier. Mine used to be terrified when I tried to catch them, now they mostly just sit there while I scoop them up.

Like OldFishLady asks, acclimating your betta to the new environment is the most important part of water changes. Especially if he is stressed from being chased, caught, confined, and then dumped back in. Make sure the water he is dumped back into is the same temperature as the water in he cup (which should be tank water), and make sure you are either using a water conditioner (best option) or aging the water so the chlorine evaporates.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Get the cup ready at the top of the water.. hold it there for a few secs so he sees it not moving.. drop in a piece of food right in front of cup. See if he comes up for it, if he does, lower the cup and allow the suction of the water entering the cup to grab him as you move the cup towards him. Good luck!
OMG that is soo good !! luring with food ... =D !!!!

usually for mystique i just hold the cup in the water till he swims over it and pull it out .. then he looks at me and goes "woah what happened"

mr. bubbles knows the cup and he will swim towards the surface .. and he will let me suction him with the flow of the water into the cup .. he loves it so much he waits for me to do it every w/c .. and when i don't do it immediately he swims around in circles on the surface waiting .. it's soo cute

yuki never lets me catch him D= .. i'll have to try your food method =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote