Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #1 
Hikari

Does aging water prevent gas bubble disease?

I have always aged new water for about 12 to 15 hours prior. I have to since our drinking water only has a cold tap. When I prepare it, I fill up a large glass and put it in the microwave for a minute each time. I fill up a couple of 1 gallon plastic jugs halfway, and fill up the rest with cold water from the tap. I also stick the jugs in front of a heater for 2 to 3 hours before the water change. I read it was unnecessary to age the water if you have a conditioner like Prime that gets rid of chlorine and chloramine instantly. So I was thinking maybe I should just warm all the water up in the microwave right before a water change, then just add the conditioner. But then I read about something called "gas bubble disease" and it's got me all freaked out. It says the only way to prevent it is to age the water for 24 hours. Is this true? That seems pretty long.
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #2 
Myates

Gas bubble disease.. it's something similar to what divers get when they go up too quickly I believe.. caused by high lvls of nitrogen. I never age the water for my bettas.. I just use tap at the same temp as what they were in prior, put in the water conditioner (Prime is great, but there are other brands just as good) and that is generally safe.
As long as you use conditioner with your water changes, you should be fine. Also.. you're the first I ever heard of putting the water in a microwave :D
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 
Myates

I did find this however.. if you feel you should let it sit, then by all means. It's what you need to do to feel secure.
GBD
Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #4 
Hikari

Thanks. ^^ I think I'll keep aging it, but not 24 hours.

I put the water in the microwave just to make it a little warmer, otherwise it would take forever to get it to room temperature since the longer the tap runs, the colder the water gets. It's all I could think of to do since there's no warm water tap for the drinking water.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Why can't you use warm water out of the tap to equalize the temp......

The way to test your water for possible gas bubble problems-stick your clean dry finger in the water-if bubbles collect on your finger-you may have a gas bubble problem-with that said-it is rare for a fish to be affect by the gas bubbles...but nothing wrong with being careful either.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Why can't you use warm water out of the tap to equalize the temp...
"the longer the tap runs, the colder the water gets. It's all I could think of to do since there's no warm water tap for the drinking water. " :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #7 
bahamut285

@OFL: The OP apparently only has a "cold" water tap, haha.

I have NEVER heard of fish being capable of getting the bends. Interesting, now I have something to read.

I would immediately assume that only well water would be capable of containing that much nitrogen at source, in which you should let it sit ANYWAY due to the lower pH it has.

If you're not on well water, you shouldn't be too concerned, but if it makes you feel better than carry on! There is no harm in being extra cautious.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Drinking water...does this mean you have some type of water filtration system on your tap for drinking water....you have a hot water tap but can't drink the water???sorry just trying to understand......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #9 
Myates

^^ wondering the same thing. If using the filter for drinking water, then I would recommend not. Best to use plain tap water from the kitchen faucet. Unless in a dorm? But even then.. hot water in the shower.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #10 
Hikari

We have other taps that have hot and cold in the kitchen and bathrooms, but that water would not be suitable for tank water. It has a trace of salt in it. We have one drinking water faucet, no filter. Not sure if the water from the shower is the same as the drinking water, though. It probably is, but I don't know for sure, so I'm scared to risk it.

When I first read about this gas bubble disease it completely freaked me out. But now I feel much better knowing it's not very likely.