Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question about Ich treatment?

So, since there is only one ich brand here I don't trust it as the store uses it and their fish die anyways....

I am using aquarium salt for freshwater fish, and have used it since two days ago when I noticed my new female Marge with ich. None of the other fish have it on them, not even her sister Tina. I raised the temperature, and have been gravel vaccuuming each day. Today, there is only one of six hitchhikers left on her, so I vaccuumed the gravel again and added dissolved salt and new water (20% water change with tap water conditioner).

How long would you say to do this treatement? I hope I sucked up any of the fallen parasites. I've already gotten the other tank under control (Spartan had a single spot of ich, to which I added salt, today it's gone and I vaccuumed the empty bottom tank). I won't stop for a few days anyways, but how long would you say? The females are getting much stronger, unlike the first day of treatment :)

And I know salt only kills the free swimming parasites. Which is why I ask... for how long? lol. The temperature is being slowly raised still (the gauge on the heater won't tell me what temp I have it set to...) and none seem to care. I also have a bubbler in there for extra oxygen for them.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #2 
Myates

Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days.
Thread on top of this forum
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I cannot do 100% water changes. This is a cycled 20 gallon tank, with a frog, snail, three adult balloon mollies and three younger balloon babies ranging from 1 month to 4 months of age. One balloon molly is pregnant. 100% water change would be devastating to the fish mentioned, and kill probably all but maybe the snail and frog.

I have been gravel siphoning 20% a day, which I did today when I noticed only one remained on my female. None of the other fish have it.

Now that she has brought it to the tank, the tank needs to be treated. I may do the salt treatment for a few days, then afterwards slowly have the tank cleaned and lower the salt down to basically nothing.

I know your method works... if the fish is by herself. But... again. she is in the community tank. Balloon mollies are so susceptible to dying if 100% water changes are done

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote