Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #1 
tabster1

To Filter or Not to Filter?

I always thought filters were better but there are some people here who say that they don't use them. Why do YOU use/not use a filter? Which is better in your opinion? I always thought filters were better because then you can cycle the tank. If you don't use a filter, do you still need to test the water all the time?
tabster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

With Bettas-filters are optional-sometimes a filter can do more harm than good especially with long fin males kept in smaller tanks and sometimes even in larger tanks too.....the water flow itself can damage the delicate fins...some males are more sensitive than others....but like you posted.......without a filter and you can't establish the nitrogen cycle....sometimes you have to make a choice.....filter that causes tattered fins with less/lower volume water changes or intact fins and more/higher volume water changes......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #3 
LaLaLeyla

I dont use filters because they cause to much of a current for my bettas. And it's simpler for me to just clean the tank out one my own
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

I travel too often not to have a filter. I can go 7 days or more without having to worry about water changes (heavily planted, 5 gallon cycled with 2 bettas). Even though I have a 2 gallon tank that I want to set up for another betta, I would have to do water changes too often.
Also, when school gets busy I don't feel so bad about only changing the water once a week instead of twice.

I have my filter baffled very well. My betta is able to make a bubble nest right in front of the filter, even though the filter is super strong and rated for a 30 gallon tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #5 
BettaMiah

To filter! I honestly believe every fish should be housed with a filter, that way you can actually establish a tank and grow beneficial bacteria.

Even my Shrimp have a sponge filter.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #6 
Myates

I don't filter any of my betta tanks.. I find the filters have potential to harm them, and rather mess with that, I just clean the tanks more. Doesn't take me too long to clean them, so I don't mind the extra work.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #7 
tabster1

Do the sponge filters make less of a current? Also if you don't have a filter, do you just dump everything out and rinse it off then fill it back up, or do you do like 50% water changes every day?
tabster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #8 
Stardancer

Depends on the size of the tank (and to some extent, the different ways people do water changes). My Rory is in a 1.75 gal. For a tank that size, what I've seen recommended is one 100% and two 50% changes weekly. (I used to do almost all 100% changes, but I've heard that too many water changes can stress the fish. )

I do try to rinse the gravel. You don't want to do that in a cycled tank, of course, but since mine's too small to cycle I like to try to rinse the gunk out.
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote