Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

Unhappy my new guy passed away suddenly...

I have no idea what was wrong with him. Yesterday he was acting normal, swiming around and playful. Monday is our fast day so he didn't eat anything but ate two small frozen bloodworms the day before. Last night when i got home from work i noticed he had the makings of a bubblenest and was very excited. He was zooming around, like i said. When i went back a few hours later he was hanging out under the nest but not moving very much, i figured he was just guarding it or starting to go to sleep. when i work up this morning he was in the same spot and was very lethargic. He wouldn't move, fins clamped, looking kinda pale... I dropped a pellet in there to see if he would eat and he didn't move. I shifted the tank a little bit and he wiggled his fins a bit but that was it. When my mom got home from work she always goes and looks at my bettas and hank was in there dead I have only had him for 4 days so i'm guessing he had something when i got him. He did have a curled top fin but i don't think it was fin rot. His color has been improving since i got him and he's been flaring a lot more. I plan on taking him back to petco tomorrow 'cause i think they do replacements if it's under 7 days or something and i'm going to have the water tested.

I also did notice that he had lumps on the sides of his body, like where his swim bladder is, do you think he had a problem with that? Any ideas? I filled this out:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g divided
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? not currently
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, has another male as a neighbor but they rarely flare at eachother

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He didn't eat the first two days i had him but ate two bloodworms 2 days ago
How often do you feed your betta fish? -

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? The tank was just put up on sunday so i had not changed the water yet
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? i usually do 50 once a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I added "Splendid Betta" water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He seemed pale this morning, didn't look right
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not energetic, very lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i didn't do any treatments
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? only had him 4 days
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 
Myates

Sounds like some sort of shock, but the lumps throw me off.
First off though, change the water in your tank... you had a dead fish in there for some time and the bacterias and such can transfer over to your other guy.
Hope someone else can help figure this out.. I'm sorry for your loss.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote