Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Quick help- betta likes eating everything he sees

So basically..

I bought this adolescent HM a few days ago, and he was a finbiter. He's a steely blue gray dragon. I put him in with my other four HM adolescents in their 20 GAL, and was watching them.. little guy spots an ant that fell into the tank. he starts chasing after it, pops it into his mouth, spits it back out. Tries again, spits it back out again. Does this for about six or seven times. When I finally realize what it is, I fish it out.

This morning.. I'm checking everyone.. and I this hair that's sticking out of his mouth. It's a hair for sure, I can see the follicle. Here I am, like, DUDE DO YOU TRY TO EAT EVERYTHING THAT YOU COME ACROSS? And I'm trying to fish it out of his mouth, but he won't hold still for me to get it, and I'm just sitting here.. facepalming.

So.. guys, got any ideas how I can get it out? Or do I leave it alone, hoping that he'll eventually spit it out or swallow it? Will it hurt him if he swallows it?

I figured I didn't need to do the questionnaire.. since it's not really a disease or chemical thing. His attitude hasn't changed or anything, neither has his color.. the rest of the boys are fine and I just did a 40% water change. Stress coat for conditioner, some AQ salt when I first put them in.. heated for 78-82 degrees. He's still eating like a hog (obviously) and so are the other fellas.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

It might hurt him if he swallows it.

If I were you I would ither net him and trey to grab it and pull it out, or I would use a clean Turkeybaster to suck it out.

I have a Turkeybaster strictly for aquarium use.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #3 
hmckin20

okay, thank you :)

I went and scooped him out into his cup and pulled it out with some tweezers. He choked up a bit of food with it, but it's out. :D
Old 09-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #4 
BettaMiah

Good. How much food? If it was a lot I would give him a pellet or flake or whatever you feed him.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #5 
hmckin20

It wasn't a huge amount, but I'll give him one anyway. Little guy must be hungry if he's trying to eat hairs. xD
Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

>.<

Maybe he is half Goldfish.

My Goldfish eats everything that he can fit into his mouth. Even gravel! He spits it out though.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #7 
Laki

What a piggy betta. That's teenagers for you though :)

I would just be careful with what goes in there from now on! an ANT?!? wow! lol Although, I watched Lakitu hunt down a blood worm and he pretended he was king then
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #8 
Myates

Bettas will eat anything and everything they think they can.. except their food sometimes.. how they can be picky about their food I don't know. o.O
Just keep an eye on him. I wouldn't of given him food right away since he "threw up" and that is something bettas really don't do. But he should be okay, and is much better without the hair. ;)
Glad you caught it!

Question though.. AQ salt.. why? Unless you are treating a specific illness.. don't use it. Over use can cause health problems and immunity to the benefits of the salt, and when it is actually needed, it won't work.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote