Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #1 
caitic10

Guppies?

My friend is ocerstocked with guppies.....she has hundreds. I want to help her out by taking in a few fry once my temporary tank is free(looking into new tank). Im not sure on the size of the tank but I ave some questions.

The tank has a filter...would it be best to unplug it until the fry are larger?

Fry pellets, blooodworms...what else? No live foods please. :P
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #2 
caitic10

Some more questions...

I believe the tank is a 10gallon. I was consider taking in three fry, and when they are fully grown adding three more adult guppies from my lfs. Is this a good plan?

What are the water changes for a ten gallon, filtered with only three fry? I will add a few plants and a moss ball.

What foods should the fry eat? I have frozen mini bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp and I can buy everything else needed.

Is it a good idea to buy a breeding trap? If a fry was being bullied I could put it in there.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #3 
thePWNISHER

I am not a guppy expert but I'm cycling my 29g because i have a friend who just added java moss to his guppy tank, now he has population issues. So from what I have been researching as similar to you this is my 2cents but I am not the expert.

If the fry are beyond the mini-stage where they eat only daphnia and egg yolks you can basically feed them any of the basic tropical fish diet items as long as you break it down to their size, i.e. crushing flakes, cutting up blood worms, etc...

I would not suggest worrying about getting more adult guppies. I mean if you have 3 fry and if you have both sexes then you will more than likely have more than you can handle in a year's time. I believe females can conceive at 3months and then you start having drops continuously after that point as long as they stay healthy. they are the rabbits of fish keeping world. If you want to add a few adults then you will be overwhelmed in a 10gallon within about 6months time.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #4 
Beth

Guppies

I've heard about people putting a stocking over their intake to keep fry from getting sucked in. I'm going to do that to the tank that I'm trying to raise snails in. I'm hoping they will breed so that I can feed them to my puffers for their teeth.

Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitic10 View Post
My friend is ocerstocked with guppies.....she has hundreds. I want to help her out by taking in a few fry once my temporary tank is free(looking into new tank). Im not sure on the size of the tank but I ave some questions.

The tank has a filter...would it be best to unplug it until the fry are larger?

Fry pellets, blooodworms...what else? No live foods please. :P
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I use filter batting for my filters with fry, and to slow down the water flow on my big filters. Or a pair of baby socks could work.

3 guppies, if you have one male will turn into many in no time lol My swordtails fry did good on flakes and baby brine shrimp. Mind if I ask what area or province you are in?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote