Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #11 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Like I said, I'm not 100% so if you want to wait for OFL, that's fine too. I hope she gets better soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #12 
CoverMeInClay

I won't be able to get the meds till tomorrow anyway, so I'm sure OFL will be on before then. Thanks again, everyone.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #13 
CoverMeInClay

New sympton this morning, she wants to eat, but when I tried giving her a freeze dried blood worm this morning she kept spitting it out like she was having difficulties. She tried several times.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Good that you have her in QT and started her on Epsom salt....increase that to 3tsp/gal and add some tannins today.......just scale sticking up and no other symptoms....

Now she can't swallow.....do you have access to mosquito larva....if so. give them a try....

No buoyancy problems....swimming head down slightly or anything.....

I see that your tank isn't cycled or do you have lots of live plants in the tank that is causing the absent nitrate.....what kind of testing product used...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #15 
CoverMeInClay

Thank you so much for replying OFL.
I completely missed that line about if it was cycled or not. The tank was cycled before any of the girls went in. Ther only live plants are a moss ball and small java fern (both qere QTed before going into the tank as well). I'm using the Master test kit I've always seen recomended on here to test. This morning I was watching her and I saw her swimming tilted down a bit and I started to worry, but then she would straighten and stay that way. I think she was just checking out what was below her as she didn't stay tilted for long at all. I don't have access to the larva. If I can't find any tannis, is there anything else I can use as a substitute?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Got any Oak trees....that is what I use....naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf...12-18/gallon of water...

Your not showing any nitrate and a cycled tank should have at least 5ppm unless heavy planted....
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #17 
CoverMeInClay

I'll test the tank water again tonight, maybe it didn't show because the water added after the change hadn't filtered through enough?
I know there are oak trees not far from me, maybe even at a neighbors, but the leaves aren't falling here yet. Curse where I live! Any opinion onf the Atison's Beta Spa product. I found that online, or am I just better off ordering the almond leaves? Either way i wouldn't have it or them right away.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Dang..too bad the leaves aren't falling....mine have been falling all year due to the drought....lol....you want to collect anything but green-the dryer the better.....

The Betta spa...I think...not 100% sure...also has sodium chloride in it-not sure how much.....

On the nitrate #2 bottle-be sure and shake, bang and shake some more-that reagent tend to settle and will give you skewed results.....
Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #19 
CoverMeInClay

Alright, I'll do that. I'm looking for the almond leaves now. Seems anwhere I get them from it will take over a week. I'll try and look for some oak leaves in the mean time. I'll keep this posted as to how she is doing. Which it kills me that I won't know untila fter work. Do you think getting the medicated pellets, as Sakura8 suggested, would be a good idea?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

I don't use or recommend medications-except in rare cases-Its up to the hobbyist what they want to use......