Originally Posted by AHaskell5
When I introduced them she showed signs of interest but he refused to build a nest. I've lowered and raised the water , pH , light and ammount of plants. Did I scar him or is he just not into this girl? Is there anything I can do to incourage him to build a nest? Or is he just having issues with being a virgin ? I've read places that he doesnt need a nest to mate but when he was showing signs of interest I released to little lady and he litterally tore part of her face off - I dont know what to do! Please help :/
IMO you shouldn't mess with pH.
1. Separate and isolate your breeding pair for now.
2. I don't rely on bubble nest as signs of readiness.
3. Try flaring them once in a while - either to each other or to other bettas. BOTH must show flirting swimming. your female beating the male shows that she DOES NOT want to spawn.
4. If they're reluctant, try flaring them for a much longer time to other bettas - DO NOT fully open their divider, just open the bottom part about 1 - 2 inches and let them flare for an hour or so. If possible change their sparring partner every now and then. Then let them rest for the day. Keep doing this until BOTH show flirting signs.
5. AFTER both show flirting signs, introduce them in the breeding tank.