Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 
Banicks

100w heaters

G'day all,

I've come into possesion of a 100w adjustable heater. Would this be appropriate to heat a tank of around 23L (6g) or would a larger one be more appropriate?

Cheers :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

100W? Dang! Most people use 25W on 5 gallons and less, and 50W on the larger tanks, but I am not sure just how large... I think it might be too big for a 6 gallon, but let someone else chime in.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Unless it malfunctions, it shouldn't kill your betta. I have used 100 watt heaters in 2 gallon hospital tanks without any issues.

It is excessive for a tank of that size (looking at my 100 watt heaters, does it even fit ). Usually you want around 1 watt per litre, so something like a 50-55 watt heater would be better.

Anything bigger and I doubt you could get it all in there.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 
Banicks

It's one of these Sera Heaters (recognised by fish logo and google image search). Has 100 written on the front near the power indicator (no box or documentation came with).

It easily fits my tank horizontally and vertically. So does that mean either #1 - my tank dimensions are completely wrong from original packaging and I have a larger tank? Or #2, it's just a relatively small Sera 100w cheapo heater?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

It could just be a small heater. My Aqua One heaters are noticeably smaller than my Jagers of the same wattage.

The only thing you have to worry about with using a higher rated heater, is that if it malfunctions it will kill your betta more quickly than a 25-50 watt heater would.

They can also heat the water up more quickly than a lower rated heater, but not so much that your betta is going to be harmed by it.

If you are putting in a 100 watt heater, I would advise purchasing a thermometer (one that goes inside the tank not stuck on the glass) just so you can monitor any fluctuations when it's first installed.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #6 
Banicks

Thanks LittleBettaFish.

I currently do keep a seperate submersed suction thermometer in my AquaOne 25w tank, on the opposite corner to the heater, just incase.

I am looking at a second setup for my girlfriends tank, and rest assured I will always employ the use of a thermometer- considering they're the cheapest part you buy when setting a tank up. Don't see why you wouldn't :)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #7 
Kytkattin

To expand on what LittleBettaFish said, I would recommend you test the heater in a fishless tank for about a week and monitor the temps during that time.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #8 
Banicks

Will do, thanks Kytkattin :)