Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #1 
reallifejaws

possible dum dum question from newbie...

Hi all! this may be a very stupid question but i'm new to Bettas (and obsessed) and want to do everything right, sooo... If i used a 2.5-3 gal. aquarium with no filter but did use a heater, when i change the water (both 50% and 100%) what do i do with my betta? i would think moving him to a small holding bowl (when doinf 100% changes) would be ok for a while but i would be concerned b/c the bowl water would not be the same temp as the heated water... i don't want to shock him by changing temperatures so much, should i preheat the bowl water?
any suggestions?
My boy is currently in a large bowl (Planning on moving him to larger tank) and i have two of everything (bowl, gravel, etc) so when i change his water now i set his new bowl up just like the other one and let the temp settle so they are the same..
reallifejaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

You could keep him in his cup while you do the water change. That's what I do when I have to do a major water change. If he stresses in the cup you could put a towel over it to keep it dark for him.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #3 
reallifejaws

ok cool. I guess if i use his tank water to fill the cup it will still be warm enough for a while.... ahhh so simple! thank you!!!!
reallifejaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #4 
cherrybello

yes, I conducted a 100% water change last night, and just slowly add tank water into the holding bowl before I put my betta back to his tank. I am ashamed to say that for the first time I moved him into his tank, that's probably why he got so sick for a while :(
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #5 
marauder

Try to scoop him into the cup if possible, not using a net helps keep stress levels down and decreases the risk of damage to his fins, etc...

It doesn't hurt to float his cup in the new water so he can adjust to the temp. Also be sure you're using a water conditioner. I've tried a few and highly suggest Seachem Prime.
marauder is offline   Reply With Quote