Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Cloudy water?

So my 20 gal has 4 platies and a betta female. Its a new filter, new set up etc. my water is cloudy. I just did an ammonia detoxifying treatment and 20% water change and I rinsed the filter. I'm a bit confused. My fish are doing fantastic I just don't get why the water is cloudy .
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Have you tested the parameters? I don't see the need to detoxify unless you know that the ammonia is out of control. With a new filter it is very common to have a bacteria bloom. It just makes the water cloudy. As long as it clears up in a few days don't worry about it. And while the filter is setting up a cycle, don't clean it out. You just reset the filter unless you rinse it in old tank water.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

ok so I just need to let it go ? ok I was worried.Thanks yea it just got like that a day ago. I was worried :/
Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #4 
Myates

New tanks need a bit to establish when using a filter.. just make sure you have the proper water conditioner in it and continue checking the ammonia/nitrate/ites, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

You are just setting up this tank, right? Make sure you are keeping a close eye on the ammonia, and then the nitrItes. Have you done research on cycling a tank? You definitely need to keep up on the water changes. A 20-50% every day will help, especially if you don't have the nesscisary test kits. With 5 fish you should get an ammonia spike pretty quickly.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

yes I've been keeping up with that I did plenty research and I def didnt add all of them at once. I plan on monitoring the tank this week and I'll keep up with the water changes . Thanks guys!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Good luck! It is awesome when it finally cycles.

And you might not even be considering this, but if you want to add tannins later, make sure your filter doesn't have carbon. I just re-added tannins to my tank today so as I am looking at it, it reminded me. :)
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

if this is a stupid question I apologize but what is tannins?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #9 
Kytkattin

It's not a stupid question. Without this forum I would have never known about them either! Basically, some plants release what are called tannins when put in the water. Specifically, Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, and some teas (red/roobios, possibly green). This mimics what naturally happens in slow moving rivers, lakes, and ponds when dry leaves fall in the water and decay. This lowers the PH and possibly has other benefits. While we like having clear water so it is easy to see our fish, they don't need clear water (not to be confused with CLEAN!).
So if you use carbon in your filter, you could never get tannins because the carbon will remove them, just like it does with certain medications.
I personally love the look of 'tea water'. Not super dark, but just a tint seems to enhance my fish somehow.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #10 
Anitax3x

Ohhhh yea my filter actually does have carbon. Would I just replace the filter cartridge with one that doesn't have carbon?