Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #11 
cajunamy
Banned

gotcha - that's where I was confused, the temp thing.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #12 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Beef heart is fairly low in fat, however, since it comes from a warm blooded animal-this type of fat is hard for fish to digest/process- especially at lower water temps....high water temps needed for the Betta to properly digest/process mammal fats also can shorten the Betta life span......

The type of fats and long term high water temps-both can adversely affect longevity.....

Long term high temp-speed metabolism and this in turn can shorten longevity in fish...water temp, metabolism, fats, digestion go hand in hand...if the temp is too low to properly digest the fat-it can adversely effect the fish-fatty liver disease, obesity, immunity, weakness, poor growth...etc.....fish(cold blooded) generally process/digest their foods in the 70-80F ranges-warm blooded animals process/digest food in the 85-100F range

Feed very, very small amounts by making a paste out of it and make a water change after feeding it since it will foul the water really fast.....

Personally, I wouldn't recommend feeding beef heart to Bettas.....
yea... it sounds like more trouble than its worth.... i guess i'm gonna toss it out. but the only reason i was trying it was because i heard it boosted growth rate and since some ppl on youtube were saying my fry were so small.. i just wanted a way to boost their growth somehow.. do you have any advice on that OFL? all i been feeding them is bbs... i ordered a grindal worm culture but accidently friggin killed it within a few days.. err

Last edited by Mohan85; 09-16-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Are you feeding the BBS newly hatched with their yolk sac intact...if not, once they absorb their yolk sac they have very little nutrition and the fry will not grow well and you can have twirling and sudden death problems....either only feed newly hatched BBS or supplement them with a HUFA supplement before you feed them....I use Silcon that I get at Dr Foster and Smith...HUFA saltwater supplement (brine shrimp are saltwater)

Be sure to change the water daily at least 50%-water temp in the 80=81F range.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

When growing out my bettas I use 30 gallons heated to 90F and I feed twice a day with frozen bloodworm once they reach 1/2 inch. As they got to the 6 week mark I feed twice a day with Atison Betta Pro (best betta food). So a mix if the two foods, high temps, large tanks, and VERY frequent water changes has been a successful method for me.

Temps....I only advise high temps for the growout of bettas...I find mid 70s to low 80s to be ideal for adults and young fry.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 09-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #15 
cajunamy
Banned

OOoh didn't think of raising temps for growing out ... that's what I need to do in addition to what I'm doing now then to put some growth on these guys
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #16 
Mohan85

icic.. what are your opinions on grindal worms?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan85 View Post
icic.. what are your opinions on grindal worms?
I've heard they are good but a great growth food is black worms...disgusting and require a a rinse of cold water everyday but worth it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #18 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Are you feeding the BBS newly hatched with their yolk sac intact...if not, once they absorb their yolk sac they have very little nutrition and the fry will not grow well and you can have twirling and sudden death problems....either only feed newly hatched BBS or supplement them with a HUFA supplement before you feed them....I use Silcon that I get at Dr Foster and Smith...HUFA saltwater supplement (brine shrimp are saltwater)

Be sure to change the water daily at least 50%-water temp in the 80=81F range.....
How many hours do I have before the bbs yolk sac disappears? And what do you think about grindal worms? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #19 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I've heard they are good but a great growth food is black worms...disgusting and require a a rinse of cold water everyday but worth it.
Interesting.. is the black worm culture easy to take care of? I hate worms but I want my fish to grow!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

This varies with water temp...the first molt is 24-30ish hours after hatch...usually you can look at them and tell...they should look orange/pinkish and after they molt they will look more brown

Research the life cycle of the BBS-this will help you understand a lot more

I keep 2 hatcheries going about 24-28h apart-so I always have yolk sac BBS...really important for that first 4 weeks of growth and development...

Be sure and rinse the BBS really good under running water-you don't need dechlorinated water to rinse them either.......the water that they hatch in is loaded with bad bacteria and along with this bad bacteria and high temps-you can get out breaks of diseases and parasites like velvet....big killer of fry

If you are careful-you can harvest the BBS without the shells too...remember-after the first molt you will have twice as many shells...the shells of the BBS is what can cause a lot of problems for the fry too.....you can see buoyancy problems and sometimes death when they eat too many BBS shells....sometimes the buoyancy problems will resolve and sometimes not.....

If your area is dry or low humidity and/or the air temp is cooler than the water....cover the top of the fry tank with something like plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ...really important....the labyrinth start to develop between 2-5 weeks of age and that first breath of air needs to be moist and warm-otherwise you can see buoyancy problems, early death, general health immune response issues....they can catch kinda like a cold....fishy cold...lol....some breeders will even refer to it as pneumonia and this can be deadly.....

Once the fry are roughly 6-8 weeks of age-you are on the road to success.....its that first 6-8 weeks that so many things can go wrong.....

I don't feed grindal worms......I fed white worms at one point-but they are really too high in fat and a hassle to culture for me....so I stick to NBBS, HUFA supplemented BBS, mosquito larva, infusoria, daphnia, other microorganism and my homemade food....I don't use a strict schedule on what, when...etc.....I feed....since it varies from season to season.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote