Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #21 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan85 View Post
Interesting.. is the black worm culture easy to take care of? I hate worms but I want my fish to grow!!!
They require being rinsed once a day in cold water. But my most successful spawns recently were fed nothing but BBS and Atison Betta Pro. My growth to adult size takes about 3 the months but I was lazy at the beginning of those spawns so more like 2 1/2 months for me.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #22 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
This varies with water temp...the first molt is 24-30ish hours after hatch...usually you can look at them and tell...they should look orange/pinkish and after they molt they will look more brown

Research the life cycle of the BBS-this will help you understand a lot more

I keep 2 hatcheries going about 24-28h apart-so I always have yolk sac BBS...really important for that first 4 weeks of growth and development...

Be sure and rinse the BBS really good under running water-you don't need dechlorinated water to rinse them either.......the water that they hatch in is loaded with bad bacteria and along with this bad bacteria and high temps-you can get out breaks of diseases and parasites like velvet....big killer of fry

If you are careful-you can harvest the BBS without the shells too...remember-after the first molt you will have twice as many shells...the shells of the BBS is what can cause a lot of problems for the fry too.....you can see buoyancy problems and sometimes death when they eat too many BBS shells....sometimes the buoyancy problems will resolve and sometimes not.....

If your area is dry or low humidity and/or the air temp is cooler than the water....cover the top of the fry tank with something like plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ...really important....the labyrinth start to develop between 2-5 weeks of age and that first breath of air needs to be moist and warm-otherwise you can see buoyancy problems, early death, general health immune response issues....they can catch kinda like a cold....fishy cold...lol....some breeders will even refer to it as pneumonia and this can be deadly.....

Once the fry are roughly 6-8 weeks of age-you are on the road to success.....its that first 6-8 weeks that so many things can go wrong.....

I don't feed grindal worms......I fed white worms at one point-but they are really too high in fat and a hassle to culture for me....so I stick to NBBS, HUFA supplemented BBS, mosquito larva, infusoria, daphnia, other microorganism and my homemade food....I don't use a strict schedule on what, when...etc.....I feed....since it varies from season to season.....
Thanks OFL, always some good advice.
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #23 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
They require being rinsed once a day in cold water. But my most successful spawns recently were fed nothing but BBS and Atison Betta Pro. My growth to adult size takes about 3 the months but I was lazy at the beginning of those spawns so more like 2 1/2 months for me.
Thanks Vamp, Gotta find me some of that atison betta pro!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #24 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan85 View Post
Thanks Vamp, Gotta find me some of that atison betta pro!
sooo apparently they don't make atison's betta pro food anymore... i tried searching online and it says san francisco bay brands bought the company and stopped making the food.... bummer...
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #25 
cajunamy
Banned

you can find it on the IBC website. You don't have to be a member to buy it. That's where I got mine.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #26 
Dragonlady

Beefheart is fine as an occasional treat for betta fry over 1/2 inch. It is important to make the pieces small enough for the fish. Betta fry can easily choke on foods that are too large for them.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #27 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Beefheart is fine as an occasional treat for betta fry over 1/2 inch. It is important to make the pieces small enough for the fish. Betta fry can easily choke on foods that are too large for them.
wow that must've been it.. when i fed beefheart to them just this one time.. i ended up with a dead baby.. one of the big ones too.. he must've choked on it when i thought he over ate. cuz i was kinda noob and didn't really kno how to prepare the beefheart and some pieces might've been too big.. ahh oh well.. lesson learned
Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #28 
Gloria

oldfishlady, If you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me about this homemade food you feed your fry? I don't have too much fry food and want to try and get some more??
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #29 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
oldfishlady, If you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me about this homemade food you feed your fry? I don't have too much fry food and want to try and get some more??
I second that, I am also interested in OFL's fry feed recipe :)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #30 
Oldfishlady

Since you should only use human grade food items to start....you can saute it and put it on pasta...yumm and you can have lunch with your Betta...laffs......

When I make it...it varies each time...depending on what I have since I grow my own spinach and garlic and garlic cloves can vary in size as can the spinach leaves...lol.....
Generally..
Shrimp- 1 large raw/frozen or steamed (no added salt or other additives) and I smash this up with the side of a knife....
Garlic-I use 3-5 cloves depending on the size...I crush in a garlic press...roughly half the amount of the shrimp
Spinach-4-6 leaves..blanched-roughly equal amount of the garlic

I blanch the spinach and while still hot I smash it with the garlic and add the shrimp and smash it all together with the side of my knife on a cutting board....it should look green...a green garlicky shrimpy paste

I then feed some and then place the rest in a zip-lock and press out flat and freeze and break off what I need each day to feed....I use the side of my knife and work it and this will thaw it enough to feed......

You are what you eat....the spinach is the greens that are inside the food Bettas eat...like being gut loaded....shrimp the protein and long term (6 weeks+) fresh raw garlic can help with parasites, help build a strong immune response among other things....

I feed this food twice daily to all fish and inverts...I have also used raw fish filet, red worms in place of shrimp and one day I plan to use the meat from common snail...but haven't got around to doing it...lol..... __________________
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote