Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #1 
Frack

Changed Water - Now Sick

I changed Reggie's water Monday night, 50% bottom cleaning. I don't have a gravel vaccum so I did the stir and scoop method. Filled tank back up with conditioned water and put Reggie back in. He instantly became lethargic. He started hiding, and I had just thought that it was because I had moved something in his tank.

He wasn't any better yesterday, he swam slowly, but would swim tho he'd rather hide. He was resting near the top of his water this morning, just floating there.

I'm going to do an immediate water change when I get home from work this evening. I'm afraid I might have stirred up amonia/etc when cleaning his gravel. I don't have a testing kit, but i'm going to try to get one today.

---------
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Basix Betta Food .42 oz
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets, once a day - every other day 1-2 in the evening as well

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% every 3days, 50% gravel every 4days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe Plus for Aquariums, Stress Coat Water Conditioner (generic from walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stress-Coa...c-Pets/3635497 )

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins not upright, looks depressed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? dorment, lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After water change Monday 9/12
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1month
Frack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Did you acclimate him back to the tank by adding a small amount of tank water to his holding cup...if not, you need to be sure and do this if you remove him for water changes....

Did you double check the water temp with a thermometer and did you add enough dechlorinator...it can be easy to forget it sometimes.....

Good idea with your plan-make another 50% water only change and don't remove him from the tank-Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank and make sure the water temp is pretty close between the new and old water.....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #3 
Frack

I know I added both conditioner and a couple drops of Stress Coat. Is there a thing as too much conditioner? Cuz that's what I was afraid of last night/more so than not enough.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Generally, no, it is really hard to overdose dechlorinator, however, the conditioner products that contain aloe vera can cause problems in regards to gill function-but there again- it will take a lot more of even that product to cause any issues...like 100gal worth in 1gal for example.....

When dosing dechlorinator for partial water changes it should be dosed for the full volume of the tank not the amount of replacement water....

How is he doing now-have you made another water change yet-or are you still at work...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #5 
Frack

I'm still at work. I'll let you know how things are as soon as I get home.

I didn't know however that you should treat the replacement water for the size of the tank - not the amount of water you're adding. Very good news.

The only other thing I can think of that might have been a change was I did change his sponge that covers his filter water flow. (To slow down the water movement) I got rid of his old falling apart one and replaced it with a new piece of a sponge.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #6 
Frack

So sorry this is so late!

Reggie is doing just fine! I did a 50% water change and it didn't help much at all, and the water became very cloudy soon after again. So last night I did a 100% water change, and Reggie's back to normal! Even his mild bit of what looked like pop-eye is now gone.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #7 
Myates

Glad to hear he is doing better! Some bettas are a little more sensitive to changes then others. Wish you and your little guy the best =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depressed, lethargic, sick