Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #1 
LeroyJenkins

Question Leroy's Tail

I bought my betta, Leroy, in a small pet shop that sold betta in small vases that were very small for larger bettas they kept. When I got Leroy he came in a very small vase as well, His tail was curled and I asked the owner if itd straighten out however they ignored my question. I put Leroy in a 2 gallon hoping it'd help however all hes gotten is longer.
Will this defect effect him?
LeroyJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 
Laki

Not sure about tail crinks but how is he doing atm?? Is he having trouble swimming? Eating? Getting to the surface? What kinds of plants or decorations do you have in there?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 
LeroyJenkins

Hes Okay, He swims a bit but always swishes his tail when it looks like hes having trouble going down in the bowl or surfacing but other than that he appears to be a happy fish. I have a medium size plant that he likes resting on and swimming in between the leaves of the fake plant.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
Luimeril

it might uncurl with good, clean water. or, it may stay curled. it depends on your water hardness, and how curled it is already. :3 glad to hear that he's in such a nice tank! :D
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #5 
LeroyJenkins

Its pretty curled =( I hope it uncurls, stupid pet shop...
Why thank you but hes in a bowl, I clean the water every other day since I live in a dorm room =)
I plan to get a actual tank soon since I found one that has a light that chances color =D
Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 
Myates

Welcome to the forum =) Another wow player I see.. or former.. or just a fan of Leeeeroooy! =P
It's hard to tell with your AV pic.. the only thing I am wondering about the tail curling is if it is actually fin melt. Does it look like the 1st and 3rd pic on this thread? Member fin melt
If so then you will need to take care of it.. if you see that he can spread it, he is just clamping it some.. then stress coat+ will help him open up. And in time that will happen.. my blue VT was like that when I first got him, now he spreads it out all the time.
As for water changes.. a 2 gal unfiltered you would want to do a 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week. You don't really want to do more then that, having too clean of water will hamper him from getting the proper bacterias and such that will benefit him. Sometimes it can be too clean. A 2 gal is a good home for him, with a mini heater and deco, he can live happily for years in that. Can use a lower watt lamp to light it up. I only say that because some of those changing colored lights aren't worth it.. can stress them out with the moving colors, and the "clear/white" is actually dim (from my experience with them).
Want pics! =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #7 
Laki

Hmm, interesting. Never heard of fin melt before. How does that happen? I want piccies too :D
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #8 
Myates

I believe fin melt is a sever case of fin rot, caused by really bad water quality.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curling, tail