Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #1 
pandacraze34

Bubble by betta's eye?

Hi!

First thread to this forum, so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I was feeding my bettas today, and noticed that one of my bettas, Louie, has a bubble by his right eye (I attached a pic -sorry for bad quality, Louie moves too fast for my lousy photo taking abilities -where it shows his left eye on the right side and on the left side, you see the bubble). The bubble is not on top of Louie's eye, but by it.

In recent days, I'd been feeding him at night so I hadn't noticed until today, so I'm not sure how long the bubble has been there. I hadn't changed the water as much as I probably should have so I think maybe poor water quality has something to do with it (thus, changed it today), but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is an infection or something and if I should buy any betta medicine for him or what I should do. I suppose I'm confused since I change the water for the bettas the same time and my other betta doesn't have a bubble...

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

pandacraze34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Hmmmm it kind of looks like an infection or an abcess. How big is his tank and how often do you change the water??? Try adding one teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon, and change the water everyday for about 10 days (with the epsom salt in it). You can find epsom salt at any drug store, and it should help take the swelling out of it. If it doesn't seem to be working or if you have any more questions, feel free to post back here =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Edit: Deleted what I posted since Indyfishy already got it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 
pandacraze34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Hmmmm it kind of looks like an infection or an abcess. How big is his tank and how often do you change the water??? Try adding one teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon, and change the water everyday for about 10 days (with the epsom salt in it). You can find epsom salt at any drug store, and it should help take the swelling out of it. If it doesn't seem to be working or if you have any more questions, feel free to post back here =)
I have a 2 gallon tank, and I actually hadn't cleaned it for about a month (I usually do once every two weeks, but I think I got lazy last month o.O). I'm not too sure what epsom salt is, does sea salt work in lieu of that? And when you say change the water everyday, is that all the water in the tank, or some of it? I normally only change 1/3 of the water for each water change, so I'm not sure if it's different for an infection!

Thanks for your help! Glad to at least have the problem diagnosed.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

You can get epsom salt at pretty much any pharmacy or grocery store. It leaches excess fluid, so I think it would work better for this situation. It has the same effect of bettas as it does for humans so it's not a specific salt like aquarium salt. It should also be pretty cheap too and last you a while.

And for the water changes, yes you'll want to change all of it every day while using the salt. Afterwards do 2 water changes a week. 1 50% and 1 100% weekly to keep water quality up and ammonia down.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

Ok well first of all, in a two gallon tank, you need to change the water twice weekly, one 50% and one 100% every single week to keep health issues like this at bay. Epsom salt is not the same thing as table salt, it's magnesium sulfate and you have to buy it at the drug store or a wal-mart or something like it. People use it to bathe swollen feet and such. It comes in a big carton and it's very cheap. For the treatment, I would move your fish to a smaller container for 10 days just to make the water changes easier on you. You will have to change the water 100% every single day while he's in treatment, and add 1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt in every time you change it. If the swelling isn't starting to go down in three days or so, go ahead and up it to 2 tsp per gallon. If he starts to worsen, post back here and we'll try to recommend something stronger. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 
Myates

++1 to both posts above me!
Best wishes and hope he gets better quickly!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #8 
pandacraze34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Ok well first of all, in a two gallon tank, you need to change the water twice weekly, one 50% and one 100% every single week to keep health issues like this at bay. Epsom salt is not the same thing as table salt, it's magnesium sulfate and you have to buy it at the drug store or a wal-mart or something like it. People use it to bathe swollen feet and such. It comes in a big carton and it's very cheap. For the treatment, I would move your fish to a smaller container for 10 days just to make the water changes easier on you. You will have to change the water 100% every single day while he's in treatment, and add 1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt in every time you change it. If the swelling isn't starting to go down in three days or so, go ahead and up it to 2 tsp per gallon. If he starts to worsen, post back here and we'll try to recommend something stronger. Good luck!
Hey! Thanks for the help again, I put in the salt and changed the wter, and the bubble/infection looks smaller today...however, my betta has been hanging out a lot at the bottom of the tank and not moving as much, as if he's depressed...is that a bad sign?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

No problem!!! It might just be the epsom salt, sometimes my bettas act a little sluggish when I have to put it in their tank. Just keep a close eye on him for the next couple days, hopefully he perks up a bit! Is he eating normally and swimming ok???
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #10 
pandacraze34

his infection is starting to go away, so the salt seems to be working, but today, he wasn't moving much and wouldnt eat his food when i put it in his tank, and this is a fish that usually always eats right away and swims up to my hand when he realizes food is coming. :O