Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #11 
pinkcupid765

Yes, i do know that, but i don't want to buy more guppies and stress out Skylar. Taking the guppy back is completely OUT of the question!!! When i went to school today my friend's guppy's tank was so nasty that you couldn't even see them! I convinced her to let me clean in so i did :(((((((
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

You're tank is way too small for a betta and a guppy to begin with sadly. Adding more is out of the question unless you pick up a 10g tank, then they could get along fabulously in a group of 6 and your betta! I do want to say that when you keep fish in conditions that are below their needs, you risk diseases which happen often to stressed fish. I would hate for your fish to catch something or start fin biting. 1g tanks are a minimum for one betta. Guppies are some cute though!!

And what your friend is doing is absolutely horrid. HORRID.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 09-15-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #13 
pinkcupid765

I understand that but my betta isn't fully grown yet and the guppy is tiny... Here 1 sec. I'll post a link to a video....
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #14 
youlovegnats

Oh jeez... umm. I think you need to put your guppy elsewhere. A 1g. is barely big enough for one betta let alone another companion.

Just my advice to you. :)

EDIT: Could you possibly get a filtered 10G and put him in there with some other guppies(you could steal more from your friend, lol)?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

It's still not a suitable size tank, and your not meeting the guppies needs by not having guppy companions. My personal rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon at adult size. Bettas are a 1-2" fish, which require 1-2g minimum. Guppies are 1.5" fish that requires 1g or larger. With both fish you would need 2g minimum, but to satify the guppies needs you need a group of six. That's why I said 10g for 6" of guppies and 2" of betta. In the end its your fish really, but I'm just really worried about Skylar catching something if your guppy gets sick or Skylar nipping the fins off you guppy :)
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #16 
pinkcupid765

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86kXBv-H9Y

Link to video ^

Im really not trying to be cruel or anything! I only get 10$ a week for allowance and my birthday isn't till december. I only had the guppy's best interest in mind. Let me say it again. The tank the guppy was being held in was a halfway filled, one gallon plastic tank, with 20+ guppies!!!! I spoil my fish, i really try at least! I just recently bought the new tanks and skylar etc. :(
Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #17 
youlovegnats

Well that's true, it is MUCH better than what he was in before.
Just be sure to keep a VERY close eye on them. :) They seem ok for now, but as stated before, things can change fast.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #18 
Pitluvs

As long as you know the proper info and will upgrade when you can, that's fine with me. Not telling that youre wrong or awful, just letting you know what would be the best solution for your fishes health is all :) Wish you were closer, I'd help ya out lol I have a spare 10 with all the trimmings.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #19 
pinkcupid765

He isn't going to stay in there for too much longer! Since he's such a gentle fish, i'd really like to get him a 10gal and put some more tank mates in. But my room is tiny. Like, SUPER tiny. I have a twin bed right now and i only have like 8-10ft for walking. For my birthday i'm going to rescue bettas! Like i'd go to petco/petsmart and see if they had any dying fish in nasty cups etc. And since my parents will be paying for it all , they can get bigger tanks!!! In a few weeks i'll be buying one of those 15 gallon tanks for 14$ and i'll manage to sneak a few bettas in :)

The 1gal is my smallest tank. I have a 1.5 with Dancer in it and he loves it. I have videos of my on my youtube channel :) The 1gal is temporary (I forgot to mention that D: )
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #20 
Pitluvs

Well there you go, upgrade will make them so happy. Sounds like you got it all figured out now! If only it was that easy with your friend haha

Tags
aggressive, betta, guppy, one gallon