Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 
MoneyFish

New fish, something wrong with him?

So I am a sucker. My co worker heard I am now "into bettas" and asked if I wanted hers. Her 8 year old daughter lost interest, and my co worker didn't really want to "deal" with the fish anymore. So I decided he was coming home with me this afternoon. He came in a gallon bowl, no heater, no filter. I already ordered another 5 gallon tank with heater/filter/etc. and will be eventually splitting so I can get a betta from Aquabid which was my original plan! (have my heart set on CT or HM still!)

Got him home and realized he acts funny. Just kinda hangs out at the top of his bowl. He did eat when I offered some pellets, but it seems like he has a hard time to swim, almost like his spine is a bit crooked or he can't turn well. She did have a cheap plastic plant and a little hidey cave in there, but he generally just stays at the top of his bowl.

Also, is that just his coloring or does he have something going on (see the white splotches on him? Almost like freckles or something). I'm worried about Ich, but don't know if he has it or not. He also looks really skinny to me. Money (my other betta) is much rounder/bigger than this guy.
Also, do you know what color/kind is he?

Poor guy, hope he is ok, so I can show him how a betta is really supposed to be treated.
Attached Images

Last edited by MoneyFish; 09-14-2011 at 04:00 PM.
MoneyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 
Leeniex

Holy moly he's skinny! I don't know about the white patches, but I bet he'll be lovely when he gets some loving care.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Wow! Were they feeding him at all? I hate when parents expect their children to take care of animals! They are just children. They can't really know what is proper and what isn't. And then they have parents who obviously aren't teaching them right... That they can just give the fish away when they are bored of it instead of being PARENTS and trying to teach responsibility by leading themselves... Urgh. Anyways, the white spots just look like color. They might fill in, might not. Depends his age, food, etc. He might be more active when he isn't starving and is a bit warmer. Just make sure you heat him up slowly. And feed him little bits often. Don't want to stress out his system since it looks like he has gone a while without food. Frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp might be easier to digest...
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #4 
MoneyFish

It completely broke my heart when I went in to see him. I honestly already knew I would take him because I am a softie (and betta fish are definitely addicting!!), but there was no way I would have left without him after seeing his condition. You are completely right about people thinking animals are disposable. It's so sad. And since we both work at an animal hospital and see it ALL the time, I was really surprised at her for letting this poor betta get so skinny and then turning around and just giving it away. But the good news is that he is now in a better home. I don't know much about bettas, but I am definitely doing my research and can guarantee he will be better off in a bigger tank with a heater (glad I picked up that filter this morning, must have been fate!! lol) and get some good food into him. I will definitely get some brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. He ate SO quickly when I gave him some of the pellets, poor thing. He is definitely more lethargic than Money, but even still he is very inquisitive and comes over to the top of the bowl or follows me when I am trying to get a good look at him. Should I do a water change right away? When I go to put him in the heated tank, do I just leave him floating in a dish with his old tank water for an hour or so to acclimate him to the new heated water? Thank you for your quick replies. From looking at pictures, he looks like he may be a delta?
MoneyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #5 
missm83

OMG!! HE looks so skinnnnyyyy!!! poor little guy!! well hes in better hands now..goodluck with him. he is beautiful!!
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyFish View Post
It completely broke my heart when I went in to see him. I honestly already knew I would take him because I am a softie (and betta fish are definitely addicting!!), but there was no way I would have left without him after seeing his condition. You are completely right about people thinking animals are disposable. It's so sad. And since we both work at an animal hospital and see it ALL the time, I was really surprised at her for letting this poor betta get so skinny and then turning around and just giving it away. But the good news is that he is now in a better home. I don't know much about bettas, but I am definitely doing my research and can guarantee he will be better off in a bigger tank with a heater (glad I picked up that filter this morning, must have been fate!! lol) and get some good food into him. I will definitely get some brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. He ate SO quickly when I gave him some of the pellets, poor thing. He is definitely more lethargic than Money, but even still he is very inquisitive and comes over to the top of the bowl or follows me when I am trying to get a good look at him. Should I do a water change right away? When I go to put him in the heated tank, do I just leave him floating in a dish with his old tank water for an hour or so to acclimate him to the new heated water? Thank you for your quick replies. From looking at pictures, he looks like he may be a delta?
Hey there Moneyfish! I'm so soorry to hear of this boy's condition :<
Nothing some food and warm water won't cure though!
Yes, float him in his tank water inside the new tank and slowly add some tank water to the cup/dish he's in every 10-15 min. until the water is the same temp.
He looks like he might even be a Halfmoon! But you'll have to get him to flare ;) Good luck!!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #7 
Myates

Pretty boy, and happy to hear he has you now to care for him. =)
In a 1 gal, do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week until you get your new tank. If he is in his old water, or mostly old water, would go ahead and do 100% because I don't think it was done all that often if judging by his body scale.
For the 5 gal divided, it will depend on if you are using live plants. I would think 30-50% water only, and 30-50% substrate cleaning per week.. with 100% once a month. But someone who uses filters may come by and tell different.. I don't use them.
Just make sure you add in a water conditioner for chlorines and such.
Feed him slowly at first, don't want to shock his system. Say 1 pellet in morning, 1 during day, 1 at night. If you can't do the day one because of work, do that one either morning or night. So 3 pellets total for a few days. Or flakes.. small small pinches at the same times. After a few days to a week, can up it to 4-6 pellets a day, mixing with either flakes or the bloodworms/brine shrimp.
Basically it sounds like you know what you are doing when it comes to feeding.
Float him in his dish to get the same temp as the tank for about 30 - 45 mins. During that time, take out a bit of his water and add in tank water to acclimate him, repeating it every 10 - 15 mins.
As for the white specs... definitely not Ich. It looks as if some of his scales came off? Or could just be coloring. Stress coat+ is good to use/have. It promotes healthy slime coats, fin health/growth, soothes, and it dechlorinates the water.

Edit: Sorry.. took me a bit to type this out due to eating, so gnats got part of it ahead of me.. sorry!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #8 
Kytkattin

As a side note, the one good thing that came about from them not feeding him is that he didn't poop much and the water is probably cleaner than it could be. Still not right, but it might have actually been in his favor considering most of the time people overfeed.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #9 
Silverfang

Just remember to feed frequent small meals, don't need for the poor lil guy to get sick while recovering. That's so sad, glad you'll give him a good home.
Aside from being so small, he looks pretty to me! I was wondering if he was a hm, his tail just reminded me of one. I think he might have cambodian colouring.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #10 
Banicks

Purty little fella :D

Once he gets warm in his new tank I think he will perk up a bit! Wait until he has settled in and try some flare sessions. Take a piccy when he is flared and the experienced ones on the forums will be able to accurately identify what he is :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote