Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

that awkward moment when...

petco tells you the betta they sold you died because his tank was too big...
do they really think that 5 gallons (10divided) is too big? i had the water tested and the nitrates were high so they sold me this treatment (microbe-lift special blend) that is supposed to lower the nitrates. they also told me i'm supposed to put the rock salt in the tank every time i do a water change... i thought that was only if they were sick or something? But yeah, they said that i probably shouldnt get another betta and should put the guy i have in something smaller... but i bought a new one anyways, a red veiltail named Rebel. he's in a 1.5 g bowl in qt for atleast the next 10 days before i intro him into the 10g divided with Cash... Cash in the meantime has had a 100% water change and had the water treated with the new stuff as well as his normal water treatment and gets the whole 10g to himself until Rebel is ready.

if you want the whole backstory on Hank (betta that died) it explains it in this one http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=80887

sorry if this is kinda a vent, i just wanted you guys to hear this and ask your opinions. the manager was the one i was talking to and he spoke to me as if i was dumb and i was not happy at all...
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #2 
Leeniex

He sounds like a total idiot. I'm sorry about Hank. :(
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #3 
CoverMeInClay

Sorry about your Hank.
You just gotta love people that think they know everything when they know nothing at all...
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #4 
Mars788

my condolences :(
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #5 
Banicks

Sorry to hear about your little dude.

Don't add stuff to lower Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. All 3 are lowered by the correct % water changes, and the product you have may negatively affect the Betta labrynth organ.

Goes without saying, most people on here have bad experience with Petco and Petsmart. We have no equivalent down here in Australia, only just recently have Costco - I presume the parent store of Petco.

I'd scratch it down to Petco's manager being an idiot! If you need any further assistance with your new little guy and guy, you know where to come to ask :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #6 
Amphibianite

XD Banicks mate Costco has nothing to do with Petco. Two completely different styles of stores. Costco is a bulk food and product store.

Also like others have said ignore pretty much anything the sales reps at stores tell you, they have no idea what so ever.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #7 
ForbiddenSecrets

Oh geez 5 gallons is hardly too big at all. In fact its a really nice size :/ Really what animal do they think bettas are exactly? 5 gallons is too small for any other type of fish but its too big for a betta to live in? Some people...
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #8 
Banicks

Well I don't know these things Amph lol, it only just opened a month ago! Havent even been in there yet because it is always ridiculously packed. Plus you have to buy a membership for $60 or something. blargh.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity ForbiddenSecrets!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #9 
ForbiddenSecrets

Ah true words - still I can wish they weren't
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote